1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Joys of Selling Gear

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Blue, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Blue

Blue

I offered great gear at a stupid low price.

He wanted it, then he didn't, then did again, and actually sent the stupid low price - from which I had to deduct all paypal fees plus execute the packing then pay all shipping fees including a special trip across town to UPS.

I spent a couple hours Sunday packing it very well, finding a box that fit perfectly around the gear which had been wrapped in a plastic bag. I then carefully fitted slightly modified styrofoam corners - and added another layer of 1" styrofoam just to be sure. I'm pretty good at packing but this came out as one of my better works of packing art.

I hoped it would go out Monday, but I had to work late, then was out of town Tuesday. Tonight when I got to UPS I discovered I had stupidly left the preprinted and prepaid shipping ticket on my desk at work.

Meanwhile he PM'd. If it hadn't shipped it yet, he wanted out - again - so I refunded the money, all of it - even though I had already lost $14 on the PayPal Fee.

It ain't worth the disgruntlement ... and there are others who actually want great gear offered at a stupid low price.

ahh ... The Joys of Selling Gear.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I'm not a fan of the process. I'll do it sometimes but once shipping gets involved, it can get a little hairy.

3. aledeville

aledeville

That's why I sell on platforms like ebay (or a smaller local one). Once the other guy pressed that "buy" button, there's no way back.

4. millsbass5

millsbass5

Ah.... That's why I've kept the same gear (except cords n' strings, obviously) for over 16 years. Thanks for the reminder, Blue.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

I once shipped a MINT 70's B15N across the country. It sold on eBay for about $400 less than I hoped for, which was devastating. But that was the winning bid, so I had to follow through. It arrived basically destroyed, and the claims process was a joke. In the end, I basically shipped out a mint B15N to be destroyed and lost about $400-$500 on the entire transaction. It still hurts, and that was 4 years ago.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I buy and sell used all the time on TB and rarely have an issue. It's the reason why I've been able to sample so much I would never, ever have even seen otherwise. Sure, people (including me) sometimes vacillate. Whatever. In well over 100 transactions, almost all of which involved shipping, (knocks wood) including a few overseas. I have only had a single episode of damaged goods. FWIW, when I buy, sell or trade, I stipulate that everything MUST be packed to UPS standards (2 full inches of foam all around) and on my end, I use a UPS shop.

8. WingKL

WingKL

That's why craiglist is nice. Local cash sales. Just watch out for the email harvesters by requiring those interested to provide a phone number or mention a specific word in their inquiries.

9. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Buying is always easier than selling.

Selling is a lot of work! Listing, communication, packing, off to UPS or FedEx, tracking number, the stress of wondering if the buyer will be happy or our items gets there OK! Keeping our feedback at 100%.

It's best to try to control that GAS so that we don't end up with a bunch of stuff that goes up for sell.

I'm being punished right now for my past GAS by selling off my excess. The work of selling is killing me and it's taught me a big lesson.

Avoid GAS!

10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

The potential for trouble is definitely there, but I've had only resounding success with my TB transactions, over many years and dozens of deals. I'm truly grateful for the whole thing. It's opened up a whole new world for me, and allowed me to refine my equipment knowledge without losing my arse. Sorry to hear that you got bit by one.

11. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner

I guess I've been fortunate on selling both here and ebay. The only negatives I have would be the buyers on here who remind me in PM after PM about leaving feedback and then of course they don't but that's another thread (feel free to use the search option for this and not start another thread😉)
    Craigslist in my area is a joke and avoid it at all costs! It's usually teen kids who shouldn't be on their parents computer in the first place or some whack job wondering if he can use the preamp out of a Alembic for a timer in a IED😳!
    So this has been my experience and not all are bad but I seem to always say -ok that's enough no more!

Carry on folks I'm off to scan the classifieds! 😁😁😁😁😁

12. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

+1

Paypal refunds give you back your fees, and if you had gotten it out earlier (or not forgotten your label) it probably would have been a done deal.

Every retail business goes through this kind of thing, pretty much every day...you're not alone.

Ebay=too many fees.

Craigslist=too many strange people.

Don't give up on the TB classifieds yet...you're only one transaction in. :)

13. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

My single experience with buying from TB was wonderful. I agree that Craigs List is the way to go if it has what you are looking for, but TB has much more selection and much more high end equipment. I found that spending just shy of a grand on something you have not touched is going to make anyone question his sanity. My TB'er sent my bass packed in a HSC and boxed up. The HSC case did get tweaked a bit (I work at the airport and see how things are handled-sure UPS is no different) but it was packed as well as I would have packaged it my self. Seeing the way this community works, you notice people 'know' each other but have never physically met. There is a certain amount of trust developed. I am sure there are those in this community that don't care and would screw you if given the chance...welcome to life! I am learning a lot and really enjoy this group.

14. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

I once had a guy want to buy a bass, we agreed on a price, stated no hardshell case, sent him a ton of pictures.. he replies back a few days later "hey i looked at this bass and noticed THIS and THAT...... would you drop the price a bit?"

Then later, he wanted to drop the price again because there was no hardshell case offered, as was listed in the original agreement. I promptly passed.

15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

IME, TB is the best place to buy & sell gear. Prices are realistic and the majority of players are honest and straight forward. I had one instance where I think a guy I sold a preamp to was experiencing buyer's remorse and was trying to get a refund in a round-about way. I didn't 'buy' his story. Other than that I've had nothing but excellent buying and selling experiences here. When selling, you will always attract low-ballers. Don't be insulted - it's not a reflection on you or your gear. Just be polite to them when you refuse their offer and be patient - the 'solvent buyer' will eventually PM you...

denton57 - I'm saddened to hear of the tragic early demise of that mint B15N...! :rollno:

16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

TB is a brotherhood, a family. Every family has the occasional nut sprinkled in. I think we're good at showing good faith in equipment transactions. I, for one, NEVER send a package packed in a way that I myself wouldn't be happy to receive it. I also try to be very forthright in all descriptions. I've only had two packages come to me that made me say '***?, and I made sure the seller knew the packing was weak. Even got a rebate on one where the contents were marred because of it. All in all, it's the best market for bass-related paraphernalia ever, populated by true enthusiasts.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Funny, that is exactly what I do to get rid of folks trolling for my email... In general no issues buying and selling here. When there are issue it has generally been over communication. Somebody that did not read what they thought they read, sometimes it's me, in which case it wasn't an issue anyway. Just a DOH! Moment.

18. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Lot's to echo here:

I think your transaction was the exception...and unfortunately, there have to be exceptions.

- I've only had very positive experiences buying and selling on TB (about 20 so far); even met some people I consider to be friends locally.

- Buying is certainly the easier side of things.

- Way too many nuts and low-ballers on CL.

- Fees get to be a bit much when you combine Paypal and Ebay, but you can sometimes simply charge more on Ebay. I've only ever set and used a "buy it now" price.

19. Blue

Blue

If I didn't have a real job ...
    If I did have a real brain ...

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I discovered the classifieds a little over a year ago and I have fifty transactions I love it here.

21. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You really should have gotten out once he backed out the first time, you live you learn.

Personally I don't think the TB classifieds are as great as others make them out to be.

-9/10 ads start extremely overpriced and the first post is always somebody stating how this guy is a great seller and how they cannot believe this is still here at this price. That post is always comical by the 2nd month it has been for sale.

-Sellers take more time to ship here than anywhere else in my experience. They will tell you they will get it out tomorrow and then all of the sudden a weeks worth of delays happens and your stuff is finally on the way

-9/10 sellers don't leave feedback and ignore you if you try and get some. I have had to press sellers for weeks before I got feedback, some I just gave up on.

The icing on the cake is all the garbage people feed you about this being a brother hood. Most people here are here for themselves in my experience. I have been screwed by more members in sales than I have been helped. Granted I have done less than 10 transactions here, but I do not think it is all it is cracked up to be.

Don't get me wrong I will still use them, I just gave up on my high expectations after my first transaction.