1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Knuckle Quake 39.5" Scale Bass Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Below, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Bass Below

Bass Below

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

I've been very interested in the whole Extended Range Bass field for awhile now and I've known about the Knuckle instruments for years. They are a very cool concept. If they weren't so expensive I wouldn't mind having one in the stable!
  3. XtraLongScale

XtraLongScale

I've been lusting for a Quake 5 for some time, now. It's definitely the only bass IMO, that I find truly worthy of the price it commands. Someday....
  4. Brendan

Brendan

It's on my list of things I need to try, along with Basslab basses, Torzal necked basses, and a few others.

I'd love to give one a spin.
  5. lug

lug

A couple of people over at Harmony Central own one. A member named Rowka regularly gigs with one and sings it's praises. Skip (owner of Knuckle guitar works and all round great guy) pops in there and at ebassist quite often.
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer

Skip at Knuckle is a great guy. I met Skip at the NAMM meeting in Nashville a couple of years ago. I played the red Quake that Rowka has. They are great basses.

Skip is currently building me a Hammer Signature model. I had the single pickup Quake at my house for a couple of months to use as a reference for exactly what I wanted in my sig model. I should be getting it by November so I'll be sure to post some pics and clips.
  7. idoru

idoru

I understand why the scale length is important, but that headstock is ... let's call it polarizing, to be fair.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

I think the guy from Knuckle is a member here as well.
  9. santucci218

santucci218

i know he is a member on the ERB site. i got to talk to him a few times, cool dude. Really smart too!
  10. Bass Below

Bass Below

Yeah, he's around here too. He's not smart, he's a friggin' genius!

As far as them being expensive, you'll pay less for your Knuckle that you design just the way you want than you will for almost any of the top name brands run of the mill, no personal touch, one of a million models. Plus you won't be getting anything groundbreaking.

Knuckle Quake breaks ground, in more ways than one ;)
  11. The Hammer

The Hammer

+100000000000000000 With Knuckle you are getting much more than your moneys worth
  12. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing:D'Addario,Genz Benz,Truth Drums,Evans,SKB,Nordstrand pu's
    I agree. The headstock is a deal breaker for most. I'd like to try one but the headstock just needs a good smoothing out.;)
  13. Bass Below

Bass Below

To each his own, I guess. I happen to like it very much.
  14. Ben Lesser

Ben Lesser

I think it's a great idea, but that scale length scares me. :p
  15. Bass Below

Bass Below

I wrote this in another thread:

16. Bass Below

Bass Below

For those of you who may be interested, I'm taking a Knuckle into a bona fide recording studio starting tomorrow night. I'll have some stuff recorded by the middle of next week, so if you wanna hear this thing, let me know.
  17. de1orean

de1orean

pics and clips REQUIRED!! thanks!
  18. shannons

shannons

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    I've played two Knuckle basses in the last few years. One was Low G tuned & used in a live situation. The other was Low E (one octave below standard) & used in the studio. I was amazed with the clarity in the sub contra range.

These basses are a handful, but what they do offer is amazing. Can you handle this much bass? ;)
  19. Bass Below

Bass Below

That's funny, I don't find it a handful at all, and I'm not a big guy. In fact, it's somehow easier for me to play than my 34".
  20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx

An interesting concept though I really don't think I'd have much use for it!