1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Land of Low-Tension Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Epac, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Epac

Epac

Hey Everybody!

Wanted to inquire with my fellow bass buddies about great low-tension bass strings.

The context: found a string that worked for me and my MIA Fender P-Bass about 2 and a half months ago: Sunbeams. Had tried a few flats, couldn't dig the sound, too stiff, not enough sustain...tried D'Addario XL, too "small-sounding", for lack of a better word, tried Half-Rounds, too much tension, not enough sustain...etc etc. Was working well with the Sunbeams until they died on me recently. Was in the studio recording some tunes with my band and the producer felt I wasn't getting enough "definition" in my attack.

What I dig about the Sunbeams is that I get a great bounce on them...they are low-tension but they get what is to my ears a great attack and response. They've also got that nickel warmth, which I dig...was jamming on some La Bella stainless steel strings right before, couldn't quite ride with those...

To keep this short, I'm thinking of trying out another set..will have a new set of Sunbeams on the side just in case, but thought I'd use this opportunity to try for something with more "definition" or "attack" so I don't necessarily have to play harder or dig in more on the technique side. I've got a set of Fat Beams on there in the meantime...feel good so far, but they are higher tension than the Sunbeams.

Which brings me to this question: what are some great options for players who like "lower-tension" strings that still have great "definition", "attack", "clarity"...i like to bounce on the strings a bit, I'm somewhat of a percussive player, and so higher tension kills the vibe for me...

Thank you for taking the time to read!

2. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Sunbeams rock

I used to use Dunlop Nickels as well

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

You might want to try High Beams or Fat Beams. They will be very similar in tension to the Sunbeams, but are stainless steel so they will have more snap and attack.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Hi-BEAM_c_30.html

You can even build your own custom gauged set there, and don't forget the TB user discount :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Epac

Epac

Hmmm...tried Dunlops after a bro at GC recommended them, and HATED them! I think I had the stainless steel guys though...

MM-Bongo I'm jamming on the Fat Beams right now...they feel okay. Higher tension though than the Sunbeams...granted they've been on for less than an hour total play-time, but yeah, stiffer, and to my ears, not as warm as the Sunbeams...I guess it's that Stainless Steel sound...can't really feel the juice inbetween my fingers like I feel with nickel-lated strings...

7. Epac

Epac

To give yall an idea of what type of tone/playing style I'm working on for this particular record, I got one track that has a Muse-ish 16-note riff going on with heavy distortion (just started using a Swollen Pickle, this baby is boss!)...

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Well...I didn't want to say anything but I don't like Dunlops either and find them to have nothing at all in common with Sunbeams :)

..and I also prefer nickel.

The only strings I've found that feel close to Sunbeams is Circle K. They are very loose feeling.

9. hihat

hihat

I have two basses. On one I use DR Sunbeams on the other I use Zon Ultrasonic Nickels. The Zons are about the same tension as the Sunbeams and have a lot of character and presence. Super fat low end and a nice high end as well. Great fundamentals. They last a long time too. Hard to find though, I usually get them right from the source.

10. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Sunbeams are great strings. I'm comfortable with Dunlops too as the tension is near the same ballpark but only as a backup since they don't last as long. Sound is also warm but not the same. I liked their SS best.

Used Fat Beams for a little while but liked the Dunlop SS better and felt the sound was fuller but a little less character.

11. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

I hate tension, but love flats.

TI Jazz Flats
    D'Addario Half rounds-must be light gauge.
    Ken Smith - Slick Rounds-light gauge

You may also want to consider Ken Smith Compressors

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Circle K strings, despite being hex cores, are really flexible (comparable to DR, IMO). Highly recommended.

13. flyman

flyman Whoa!! Supporting Member

Not trying to start trouble, but you may be the only person I know of that thinks Fat Beams are stiffer than Sunbeams. I've used both, and my experience is just the opposite. I was going to suggest DR LowRiders until I saw that. Maybe you should try finding a string that sounds good to you, but might be too stiff, and going one gauge lighter and see if that gets you what you want.

14. Budbear

Budbear

+.106

15. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Nothing more flexible than TI Jazz Rounds. Nothing even close. Everyone should try them at some point if they are looking for a low tension string.

Lots of lows and rich mids.

16. Peredur

Peredur

Jazz rounds are the low tension bomb! Lush beyond.

17. joebar

joebar

i currently am loving sunbeams too
    love the tension and not too zingy

18. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I play GHS Bass Boomers for almost exactly the reasons you mentioned: I find the tension and feel to be nice and rubbery with some "give," but with no penalty to attack or clarity. I prefer their med-lights (45-100) for standard and Drop D tunings and their mediums (45-105) for lower tunings.

19. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster Supporting Member

I hate to ask a question that I probably ought to know, but what is the TB discount at bassstringsonline?

20. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

+1000 on this. They are also Nickel which is what you want. They are great strings and getting a balanced tension set will make you go "tension? What tension?!?"