1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The latest Fiona Apple album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassinplace, Feb 4, 2013.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Anyone heard it? I am so into it. It's a masterwork. What an amazing songwriter she is. I've been listening to it exclusively for days...:bassist:
  2. hover

hover

I wrote a longer reply that got lost...I will just say it's a compelling work, and Periphery alone is worth the cost of the album. She's always amazing, and each album I love for completely different reasons.

That said, with this album, she's practically saying: "Amanda Palmer, no. THIS is how it's done."
  3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Nice! I knew I sigged you for a reason! ;) And as I type this an amazon ad for said album has popped up in my original post. Creepy. But back on point, every song on here is really strong to my ears. Such a beautiful piece of perfect art, imo.
  4. Toptube

Toptube

I'm a big fan of Fiona Apple.

I like the newer album, quite a bit. I really enjoy that she isn't afraid to keep her vocals a little more "raw" for the final master.

BUT, I don't like it as much as some of her previous work. I feel like even after all that time between albums, she didn't stray too far from Extraordinary Machine----which is a better album. And I was kind of hoping for her to mine some different subject matter for the lyrics. and I usually don't care about lyrics.
  5. bassinplace

bassinplace

Yeah, I need to check out her other stuff. I only have the first one and the last. Of which the last one is far superior to my ears. Gonna pick up the other two asap. Yeah, the vocals do get really raw in Regret, in particular. It really sounds like she is vocalizing the emotion. I love the lines she plays on this album and the melodies are just stunningly gorgeous.