The least p sounding pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by oldcatfish, Apr 6, 2014.

1. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Hey guys/gals,
    I have 3 p basses, and one of them is starting to have issues with it's electronics. So, since I need to open her up anyway, I was considering replacing the pickup with something even less traditional sounding. Something like a dimarzio split p, though I've never actually heard one. Or, if there's something else, I'm open to suggestions. It just has to be passive, so that I can change it out, if I don't like it.
  2. RobbieK

RobbieK

If you want a really mid-rangey thing going on, then you'll love the original Dimarzio P.

If you want a less mid-gangey sort of vibe, simply have the existing pickup rewired in parallel.

Either of these will certainly not sound like a traditional P.
  3. miles'tone

miles'tone

The split P is a brilliant pickup which you can also wire up to a push/pull pot for series/parallel options.
    In the same kind of ballpark as the Duncan quarter pounder P but more versatile and refined in my experience, really responsive.
    Doubt you'd be disappointed with it.

It's number 2 in this vid, a tiny idea of what you get but how YOU play and eq it will make the difference of course.
    Precision bass pickup shoot out: http://youtu.be/Z9-ADHWXlHk
  4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Thank you for the video, it helped...I do like the split p, a lot.

I thought about just a basic repair, but the split p has a completely different sound to the current pickup. I'm not sure what is in the bass now because I bought it used from a local mom & pop music store that unfortunately went out of business. All the owner could tell me was that it was an aftermarket pickup, but he couldn't remember the type. It is a Peavey made in Korea milestone bass and the pickup has tons of mid-range (and more high end than any other p that I've tried), and is extremely high output. It easily clips most amps, and even many of the active inputs. I had to lower it way down to make it usable with my gear.
    And I still have to run the volume at 3/4 most of the time. It sounds a lot like the Dimarzio model p clips that I've heard, but it looks a little different.
  5. Register to disable this ad