1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Legendary Scott LaFaro 1957

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by ee-san, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ee-san

ee-san

2. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Domo arigato ee-san!

I was not aware of this record either. Scott sounds great here!

ITunes has a collection called "Scott LaFaro: Essential Jazz Masters" with all of this and more- 39 songs total for eight bucks (at the time of this post)! :hyper:

Joe

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Isn't this the Pat Moran Trio record (Scotty's first) where Pat's ex husband was credited as the bassist? Ask Paul Warburton, he'll know...

4. ee-san

ee-san

The youtube link lists Pat Moran on piano and Johnny Whited on drums. Allmusic lists the recording entitled "This is Pat Moran" with Scott LaFaro credited on bass. That listing has more tracks than shown on the youtube link.

To my untrained ears, the recording seems quite high quality for the 50's. The bass sounds pretty far forward in the mix, perhaps a little more than was typical at that time--no complaints from me given the bassist.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

. The bass sounds pretty far forward in the mix, perhaps a little more than was typical at that time--no complaints from me given the bassist.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I thought the same thing. I wonder if it was remixed to showcase Scott. No complaints from me either. It's a great chance to hear him in his early formative stages. The growth and fluidity in his playing that's evident between this recording and those a few short years later with Evans is truly amazing!

7. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Yeth, he will. (hi, Ed).
    The original side lists the bassist as John Doling, Pat's ex husband who went around town telling other bassists it was hisownself playing. I know this because I was the next bassist in Pat's trio after Scott, along with the drummer, Milt Turner. As with most CD's nowadays, the side has been remixed. (bye, Ed). :D

8. M0ses

M0ses

This is REALLY swingin. Thanks for the link, enjoyed it a lot.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Would you mind kindly dropping by a little more ****ing often? ;)

11. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

12. aaronallen

aaronallen

On a related note, theres a torrent up at dimeadozen.org for Bill Evans trio with LaFaro and Motian live at Birdland radio broadcast from 1960. The sound quality is actually pretty good! I'm surprised this hasn't been commercially released.

13. Mark Carlsen

Mark Carlsen

It has been released as " The Birdland Broadcast's "... I have these.

14. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue

Is this available anywhere in CD form? All I'm seeing is it showing up on the UK iTunes store. Not even available on the US store.

15. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Thanks OLDGUY - made my day. :D

16. aaronallen

aaronallen

That release is by a bootleg company which is probably why its not in the US store.

17. Mark Carlsen

Mark Carlsen

It's Scott's birthday today and ISB has announced that Barrie Kolstein has donated the Lafaro Prescott to both the ISB and Ithaca St. in NY for future bassists to enjoy.
    Why not listen to some Lafaro today in his honor....:)

18. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

19. Mark Carlsen

Mark Carlsen

20. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

You're welcome, Mark.

In case you missed this one, here's a clip of Scotty during his L.A. era with Vic and Stan Levey which kicks some serious ass. 1958, the period when Scott was studying with Red Mitchell. Rosie Mitchell (Red's second wife) told me that Scott would be at their house so frequently that Red told her, jokingly, that maybe he could take Scott as an income tax deduction.
    I have no idea why the clip window says "Deep in a dream"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fU9YF946YM

21. Dimmik

Dimmik

I have a CD called "The Complete Trio Sessions" that lists the players as Pat Moran, Johnny Whited, Scott LaFaro and Bev Kelly. That certainly sounds like LaFaro on the bass to me. Nobody else plays like that.