The Loaner Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Feb 17, 2013.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

This is intended for TB'ers to post your personal impressions of a bass you have on loan. Running it through your rig, perhaps you've set it up and/or changed strings. But, you've had it a while, maybe even gigged with it a time or 2.

Here's a '74 Precision. I've had it over 6 months now and I've worked it over pretty good. Tried 3 different sets of strings on it, had the neck off, adjusted the truss rod, intonated it, adjusted the action, etc.

[​IMG]

I have gigged it about 1/2 dozen times. The last time with all of my ideals in place: my strings, set-up, playing music I personally like to play. My impressions are however are that it's only an ok bass. It has some vibe & some tone but they come at the expense of its overall difficulty to play. And I am a die-hard Precision guy.

[​IMG]

You really have to fight this bass for every note. Nothing comes easy and the D & G strings really die off all the way up the neck. yes, i have adjusted the PU's too. I had DR Sunbeams on it, prior to that Roto Swing Bass and prior to that, some DR Steels.

[​IMG]

Love the beefy neck though.

Both my 2002 and my 2010 P-V play so nicely that I am not constantly having to focus on downward pressure to play notes. Being newer, they both have advantages a beater isn't going to have unless the '74 is re-fretted.

Overall, it reinforces my experiences with used vs newer. Why spend similar amounts of money for a bass of questionable pedigree that's been modified to the point of significant value loss when a new or newer bass in the same price range will help you make music easier?
  2. Davo-London

Davo-London

I have an 1984-1987 E-series MIJ Squier Jazz on loan to a friend.

It's been 2 years.

Is it rude to ask for it back?

Davo
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the most wrecked, abused, dirty and hacked-up instruments i see for repair are almost always accompanied by a story that starts,"i loaned this to a friend and..."
  4. P. Aaron

Nope. If you want it back, you gotta ask man!

I'm returning the '74 Tuesday. The same friend has a pre-EB MM Stingray I'd like to road test...waiting for permission from that owner. We're all longtime friends but one should still ask...the 'Ray is quite an asset at this point.
  5. P. Aaron

The '74 was rough when I got it. Fretted out by the 12th and The intonation was way off. I believe I have it about as playable as it can be barring significant fret work. No buzzing all the way up now and the action, (for a Fender) is fairly good.
  6. P. Aaron

Just got this from another friend at rehearsal. After I work it for a few, I'll report back.
    [​IMG]
  7. P. Aaron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had this for about 2 weeks now. Fun & easy to play...using my practice rig: Hartke 4000HA and a LDS 2 x 10 cabinet. So, there's decent juice through a modern head and a nice cabinet. At the very least a no-slouch rock gig rig. As always, YMMV.

Am not sure of the year of this Bongo, there aren't many of them any way so, with the 2nd Martini starting to hit I am still wondering why I have to adjust to this bass from flat settings (which my P-Basses handle just fine) to near Pluto on my amp to get low end outta this thing.

Yeah, it's a 'modern' sound these MM products produce and I gotta get with 'it' and come off my Stax & Volt, Motown, grey-haired old-school, creaky bones attitude of "...look here Sonny, in my day, we didn't have all these new-fangled ___________'s. We just plugged the damn thing in. Fender Bass, blah, blah blah."

Set flat, this thing was thin & nasally. Honking like geese through an MXR Phase 90 over my house in late October. The setup was like buttah, intonation was off but I fixed that in a 'Jersey nanosecond. The pickups were humpin' the strings like it was mid-March & I dialed them back...little good it did.

Loved the Danelectro-Hofner like weightlessness. My cancer-beaten bones could'a beat on this thing 'till next Thursday and run rings around Flea without the aid of 5-Hour Energy EXCEPT...having to EQ this damn thing to get thump & bump.

You can get these things to sing...in about one dimension. I guess that's what's somewhat disappointing. FWIW: I figured out what the damn knobs do!

Experienced folks tell me an MM "...is kinda counter-intuitive". Folks buy 'em & love 'em and they sure are built well. But, when I, or any other uninitiated bloke run the rack at GC, we're usually dialed in for instant gratification while competing with wife beaters takin' it out on every Ibby in Oakland county because restraining orders keep them away from home. It's not the easiest instrument to sell to a guy like me.

I just don't get it...but they are beautifully built...the whole line.

I really want to like a Big Al s-s-s. I wanna GAS for something besides a classic color Precision.

NEXT UP: A 1977 Stingray.

[​IMG]