1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Lone Dove. Is this normal behavior?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

First of all let me state that my wife and I are both animal lovers. About eight years ago two doves showed up at our house and decided to make it their home base. We would see the couple daily. They would nest outside our bedroom window in the same small tree each year and we really enjoyed watching them raise their offspring. My wife even made up names for them. About three years ago I woke up and found one of the doves dead in our pool. The remaining dove was perched on the side of the pool and watched me remove their mate. For the past three years the remaining dove spends most of his or her time perched at the very spot were they lost their mate. The dove also sleeps there too. The other morning my wife was watching the dove and got a tear in her eye. When I asked about it she said it was so sad that the dove is still looking for it's lost mate. I goggled "doves" and it said doves mate for life. It also stated that if one mate dies prematurely, then sometimes they will find a new mate. In this case, after three years, I am not sure if that will ever happen. Perhaps someone who knows about bird behavior can let me know. Again, these guys were almost like family pets to us.

[​IMG]

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

This kinda stuff gets me too.

Many times animals behave more human than humans do.