The LOOPING Club

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BooshBass, Jan 19, 2014.

1. BooshBass

BooshBass

I don't think there is a thread dedicated solely for people who enjoy looping bass (and other instruments with bass if you'd like). If there is please advise. (I know there's an ambient bass thread, but this one will include all types of music.)

I also don't know if there is even enough interest to have a thread, let alone a club, such as this. I personally enjoy making loops on my own and have been doing it for quite some time. I think a collaboration of people of all experience looping bass can spark some good sound sharing/conversation/help/idea sharing/etc. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

To start it here's a loop I recorded a few weeks ago:

Let's see what else everyone has. I know you can do much better.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    chuck norriss likes this.
  2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I have a BOSS RC-3 loopstation with a FS-6 footswitch. It is just my thing now, I play solo most of the time and in my improvisation I stubble across something, loop it and solo over it.

I can also record like 3 or 4 different loop and use the footswitch to move between them like an intro/Chorus/Verse thingy.

3. BooshBass

BooshBass

Hell yeah dude. The way I got into looping was I got a Boss GT-6B for Christmas one year in junior high quite a long time ago, and it had a looping function, only like 4 or 16 seconds depending on quality. That led to an RC-2, which led to a FS-6 with it. That was awesome.

Now I took the plunge and rock the RC-300. I bought it used on here. It has some seriously awesome functions for getting creative. Honestly, I have not even come close to being able to use them all properly on command.

One thing I really like to use is you can set the amount of measures on each of the three loops, and make the shorter one stop while the other one plays out, so Ill have the first one on 4 measures, and the second one at 8 measures, the 4 and 8 will play through, the 4 will stop and the 8 will continue, then when the 8 it over the 4 and 8 start up again together. It gives a really fun ability to get more interesting.

I just starting doing this though so it takes me a minute to get it right.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Interesting club idea, pretty cool. I have a Ditto myself and never seem to use it much. But when I do, I know I have fun and get inspired to write stuff. Its hard not to get inspired while playing with a looper IMO. Stuff just starts coming out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BooshBass

BooshBass

Using a looper with a drummer is really hard. The drummer has to be as tight as a computer to stay with the loop, easier said than done for casual players such as my friends and I.

I have this idea to buy an earpiece and have the drummer I play with wear it, then hook it up with the RC-300 so that the drum beat only outputs through the earpiece. Then set the drum machine to the most basic click track type beat. Then he will have a metronome to follow along with whenever I start a loop.

With a real drummer I think I could get some really insane stuff going. The drum machine thing really puts a damper on it. I think this idea will no only lead to some great music but also will help the drummer tighten up his beats. Win-win in my opinion.

7. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I used to use an RC-2 but I got rid of it when I got a Zoom B3. I've only used the looper with the drummer I jam with a couple of times but it has sounded pretty good. It makes me think about how long I run a loop whilst noodling because I don't think it would be that fun for the drummer to play along to a loop for more that a couple of minutes. It would be fun to get a slightly more feature rich looper and see what I could do with it.

packhowitzer likes this.
  8. BooshBass

BooshBass

Yea the fun level certainly increases with more features. Your drummer is probably just tighter than my buddy. We don't have anything serious going on, just for fun. He's good when we're just playing but the loop brings out the lack of tightness. When he starts to play more intricately ie more fun, it starts to get out if sync. Should probably just jam more.

As far as no fun goes I think the simpler the principle loop the more potential for fun for the drummer. More room to grow for all parties

9. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

So down!

I ALWAYS keep a Ditto on my board, and I have a Flashback X4 that really owns as a looper!

99% of my playing is done with a worship band, we get pretty atmospheric, and that Ditto gets used constantly. In soundcheck, I set up tempo-less drones: in the key of the song, I loop ringing harmonics with od and delay, simple high-register chords soaked in reverb, and a percolating low root note with a sub pedal on. I can ease it in and out with the vol knob on the Ditto. Really fills the sound with ambient texture.
    As luck would have it, my main drummer always plays with a click (don't knock it til u try it! I was skeptical in the past, but a click is really useful!) so if I want to do loops live in time, I can do that too!

On my own time, the only thing I practice right now (aside from learning new songs for my worship band) is trying looping layered solo compositions, usually with the X4. Always so much fun! Trying to get better at it. I listen to Tony Grey or Janek Gwizdala do it all the time and I just love it.

10. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    Booshbass: good call on this thread. :)

I have been looping for years, mainly with the rack mount version of the Line 6 delay modeler controlled via midi foot switch. No quantization, just basic record, overdub, forwards, backwards, half speed. It works with a drummer for 4-8 measures if it's a loud part... If it's quieter, the drummer can adjust. I'm not a fan of syncing to a midi clock and having the drummer play to a click; it ruins the organic-ness of the band thing for me.

I also take my Boss Gigadelay and set the repeats for ALMOST infinite, so that each layer gradually fades away. Here's a track I did with that method. The music is only one track of bass playing, using an Akai Deep Impact, a Whammy, and a Gigadelay.

www.soundcloud.com/theholographix/electro-generator

Here's another using that same method, but the simplest part of the baseline is looped on a separate track, everything else is one layer with Gigadelay:

www.soundcloud.com/djbeers/operator

chuck norriss likes this.
  11. BooshBass

BooshBass

Boy do I love that enthusiasm. How does the drummer have his click track set up?

Also I've considered swapping out my Timefactor for an x4 just to be more simple. You seem to like it a lot. Does it have presets?

12. BooshBass

BooshBass

Never really tried to get a sweet loop going with just a delay with really long feedback. I will try that with the timefactor. Akai deep impact, rules. I wish I had the stugots to throw down when theres one on the market. Mike Gordon, one my fav bass players, gets some sweetness out of that thing from time to time still.

As far as no quantize, no sync, etc., I also do that a lot. I just gotta break it to the drummer that we gotta listen to each other, not just me listening to his beats. If he starts to listen to what I loop he can certainly play along. But as of now its like he's laying down the beat, and I'm playing to the beat. period. Not by any malice, just how it is for now.

I dig these tracks. Super crazy and out there, exactly what I'm looking for haha.

Glad people enjoy the thread. I hope it continues for a long time and doesn't fade away. I love looping and will continue to try to get new things.

13. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Cool brother, and thank you! listened to your jams as well, what kind of synth are you using? Loop on!

I find it's handy to have a whammy or POG or something similar for looping... just so you can hit a different register. :)

14. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    One more looptastic song: At around 3:08, I start recording a loop.. it's a chord progression. Then, at 3:49, I flip the loop backwards and let that finish out the section. for the next 50 seconds.

https://soundcloud.com/djbeers/3beers

15. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I just moved back home after a long time away and I'm jamming with the drummer that I learned to play with. His drums were at my house and he would stay at my place for weeks at a time and jam all the time. When we play sometimes it's like he's in my head. It's pretty awesome and I'm lucky to be able to still play music with a childhood friend almost 20 years later. So I think that's why the looping works with him. It definitely did not go as well when I tried with the guy I jammed with in Victoria.

Anyway this is a cool thread. I used to noodle about with long delay times and lots of repeats on delay pedal, it's a lot of fun. I haven't done that in while thanks for reminding me David Beers.

16. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

My drummer has his clicks set up on his laptop, either with Mainstage or Abelton, which he sends from the headphone-out with an 1/8" cable right to a di, which we feed into our IEMs. He makes a setlist in whichever program, and literally just hits the space bar to scroll through the set. It's awesome. And, if we get off on a jam tangent (which often happens) he can kill the click quickly and tap-tempo for a new click if he so desires.

I came up playing jazz and fusion, and clicks were basically from the devil. It wasn't until about a year ago that I got with this dude who insisted we try it, and it's made all the difference for us in our particular situation. We use tons of delays, synths with arpeggiation, and singers who don't have great internal time lol! It's a really great tool for that particular band.

As far as the X4 goes, it's an awesome pedal. For delay, it's got a dedicated tap tempo switch, tons of presets and the toneprint capability. But I really like it as a looper. Doesn't have the same looping capability as, say, a Boomerang (that let's you prerecord up to 4 loops and bring them in and out independently) but it's awesome for live looping. It does have rec, start/stop, undo/redo, and a "once" switch that let's you bring a loop in once (like if you were doing a composition, the "once" loop could be your chorus, and the main loops could be your verses). At the end of the day, it's really similar to a DL4 or Timefactor, biggest selling points for me were the toneprint delays, the Boss-style 9v power jack (works with any power supply!) and the price. (They can be easily found for under $200 used here on TB or on Reverb)

I had two of them (sold one) and have a Ditto, but thinking of grabbing a DittoX2 when it drops, and I'm intrigued by the Pigtronix looper... Anyone here have one? Used one? Looks super similar to the X4 but I'm always lookin out for new stuff

(Until I'm ready to drop $350 on a boomerang!)

17. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    :) :) :)

18. BooshBass

BooshBass

Here's one I slapped together this morning:

It was made with the following:

Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V

GK MB112ii (not really tho - recording through RC-300 USB)

3leaf Wonderlove
    Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
    Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
    Boss GEB-7 Bass EQ
    MIJ Boss BF-2 Flanger
    Dr. Scientist Tremolessence
    Eventide Timefactor
    Boss RC-300 Loop Station

Audacity

19. BooshBass

BooshBass

And one I found on my computer I forgot I recorded. Strikingly similar to the last one lol... one trick pony.

20. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I'm thinking about starting a project with a keyboard player, a drummer, and an MC/rapper/singer, and I want to do live looping for it. I want to record some loops ahead of time, and trigger intro/verse/chorus/outro loops for each song as needed. On top of this I will be playing live stuff on bass and maybe keys, some of which will be looped live also. Very important to me is that it doesn't sound like a repeating loop for each song. I want to have preplanned song forms and be able to switch between them as needed. But, I also want to be able to get some of those great electronic textures that can only come from looping.

I'm thinking about picking up a hardware looper (Boss RC-50 probably). But I'm also thinking about running Ableton Live on a laptop. What are the pluses and minuses of these options? Can Ableton do everything a hardware looper can and more? Or is the best solution a combination of the two?

Of course the Ableton solution is more expensive. I need laptop + software + I/O hardware + control hardware (footswitches). But if I ignore that, which is better for the short term or the long term? Which is easier to get into? Which is more reliable in a gig situation?

And, I would like to include a real drummer. Does the RC-50 allow a seperate output for a click track to feed to the drummer's monitor? I assume an Ableton setup could do that if I have a good audio interface, but $$$.

Another thought, is Mainstage as good or almost as good as Ableton for something like this?

Also, if the keyboard player is using Ableton, what do I need to keep in mind so that if neede, in the future we can sync our systems together?

I need a path that isn't too complicated and expensive NOW, but that can grow with me as I need more functionality. Is there such a thing?

21. metaball

metaball