1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The low E on a bass is what note on a piano?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jealousblues, Nov 13, 2013.

1. jealousblues

jealousblues

Is the lowest note on a standard tuned 4 string bass (E) an E0 or an E1 or what on a piano?
  2. David_70

David_70 Supporting Member

3. somegeezer

somegeezer

4. jealousblues

jealousblues

is there such a note as "E0?"

the reason im asking is we are moving some midi sequences off a keyboard to a software suite.

The song in question is Brown Eyed Girl which starts with "E, F#, G" or something like that.
    On the keyboard it says the notes in the sequence are E0, F#0, G0
    and they sound fine.

When we put it into the software suite with sampled sounds...those notes are too low for it to play.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Yes. A piano goes down to A0.
  6. Reddog01

Reddog01

This chart is incorrect -- it's showing the tuning notes one octave too low. The highest string, G, is the first G below middle C. This chart show it one octave too low.
  7. Jensby design

Jensby design

Oh yeah, that's the E-string on my 6-string bass when I am not D-dropin.
    One of these days I will tune it back up to F#0 :ninja: then I'll have an open E1 string :ninja: it just seems a little silly for a 6 to not have as much high range as a 4 :meh:
  8. White Beard

White Beard

Bass is actually written one octave higher than it sounds. It's written that way to compensate for an excess of lower ledger lines when playing. However, also being a tuba player (which is written as sounds), I'm actually used to reading that low.
  9. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

No, the chart is correct. Bass music is notated one octave higher than it sounds for ease of reading (as is guitar music). So, the open G string as is written on the staff as being in the top space of the bass clef, a fourth below middle C, but the actual note sounds one octave below that, as shown in the chart.

To answer the OP's question, the low E on a standard bass is E1, 41.2 Hz and this is the same pitch as the lowest E on the piano (despite being written for bass as if it was one octave above that). The lowest piano keys on a conventional instrument are A0, A#, B0 (lowest note on a 5 string bass), C1 et cetera. Note that octave numbers change when you get up to C. So, the lowest E on the piano is E1, same as the open E on your bass. E0 is 20.6 Hz and a perfect fourth below the bottom A on the piano.
  10. Reddog01

Reddog01

My bad. I also play bass trombone, and we read it like it is written. I, too, can read all those low ledger lines.