1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The lowest moment in American TV history

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ironbar, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar

So, what in your opinion is the lowest moment in TV history? By low I mean, what the single worst excuse for entertainment ever presented by any network, any time?

I have my own single worst moment, and I'd like to see if anyone else comes up with it! Post a video link if you have it!

Fire away!
  2. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I've been TV free since 2007. Too many low moments for me. I think the commercial where a guy put his tongue on an electric mixer was the final nail in the coffin. I'll try to find a link.

EDIT: I do watch Netflix on occasion.
  3. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

The start of reality TV. I think it was "The Real World" on MTV. Reality TV should end in a score... the end. Now it's the real housewives of wherever, Jersey Shore, the Cardashians and all that crap that, instead of putting famous people on TV, makes people famous by putting them on TV.

Hate it!!
  4. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I can't remember the last time I watched broadcast or cable TV outside of sports. Going back to at least 2006 I'd guess.
    I do watch Netflix and Prime though. Usually only shows that get recommended or that I know are good (have previously watched), or movies.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Great answer, couldn't agree more. On a tangent, I'll nominate the breathless coverage of OJ Simpson driving around.
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman

Whenever cable news went from the original CNN to the Opinion-Driven rot that is on now.
  7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I was disappointed when the Fonz didn't actually throw any punches during the "rumble."

I don't own a tv either.
  8. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

The oven cleaner ad during the broadcast of Schindler's List was pretty bad.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I liked the first three seasons of The Real World. It jumped the shark for me when you could tell they were casting stereotypes for the show. It felt, to me anyway, like people were playing parts to get on the show and then to be famous after the show. I stopped watching after the season in Seattle.

-Mike
  10. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

When execs decided that Reality TV should own the airwaves since it's 1/5 the cost of a an actual program.
  11. GK Growl

GK Growl

Hen Bud Dwyer committed suicide on live TV and the camera had plenty of time to stop rolling and they never did.
  12. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Do we have to pick one? There are so many to choose from.
  13. john_martin_sai

john_martin_sai

14. buzzbass

buzzbass

Honey Boo Boo
    Moonshiners
    Duck Dynasty
    The Bachelor
    Fox News

take your pick, there is so much dreck out there now.
  15. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

A friend of mine were thinking of setting up a ghetto for all reality TV stars called 'The Containment Unit for National Television'.

Not sure the petition would make it through the first reading but it was an amusing evening...
  16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

The first few seasons of The Real World were exciting, groundbreaking, and original television. I personally wouldn't compare those early seasons to the crap that makes up "reality television" nowadays. Unfortunately, even that show has turned into a Jersey Shore clone over the years with a cast of beautiful-looking douches and drama queens who have no personality.

I don't know if it's Thee Lowest moment in Television, but when The Fonz, water skis, and a dangerous fish mix together, the result isn't pretty.
  17. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

American Idol
  18. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

It hasn't happened yet. The bar (sorry OP) keeps getting lower.

It's a continuum. Some of the best TV is being aired and keeps getting better, while the worst TV keeps getting even worse. There is an increasing trend; networks take advantage of dumbness. Part of Jerry Springer's audience will watch an episode for laughs. It's the modern day freak show. A large number of viewers watch because it's them on the stage being told how stupid and miserable their existence is. It creates ratings and spawns new shows.

There are networks that cater to dummies. Remember when TLC was The Learning Channel? Now it's Honey BooBoo. Discovery used to be really good also. Now it's charismatic idiots with way too much money building hotrods. A&E? Fuggetaboutit.

What irritates me is the channels that are worth watching cost extra. The Discovery Channel is on the lowest tier cable package, while Discovery Science is on the top package. If they had any sense of responsibility it would be the other way around, that way people too stupid to understand what's aired would get up from in front of the TV or heaven forbid, learn something.

Ever wonder why Fox News Channel is on the lower-tiers of most cable packages and CNN or MSNBC aren't? I go to a lot of doctor's offices and I'll be damned, a lot of them have TVs set on FNC. Same goes for retirement centers.

TV is my passion and I've been a TV addict since The Man From Uncle first aired. Now I'm old, decrepit, and somewhat disabled and poorer than ever and have had to ditch 90% of my TV package. I now watch stuff I didn't know still existed because I never switched to those channels. My god, People's Court is STILL on the air.
  19. rtslinger

rtslinger

Yeah got to agree with that one you knew what he was going to do when he was pacing with the gun out so why wouldn't you cut away! haunting image burned into my mind
  20. stratovani

stratovani

What I find a bit funny and ironic is that commercial for a big square antenna which is supposed to allow you to watch free network TV over the air in digital HD. In other words, I'll pay $19.95 to be able to watch the worse possible TV shows, on the worse possible networks, American network TV? Fuggedabouddit! :eyebrow: :rollno: