The Magnificent Seven

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nutso42, Dec 31, 2012.

?

Which is Your Favorite?

1. The Beatles

30 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. The Rolling Stones

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Led Zeppelin

18 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Pink Floyd

17 vote(s)
    16.5%
  5. The Who

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  6. Jimi Hendrix

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. The Doors

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Your lame garage band

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. The Carrots

14 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. nutso42

nutso42

Perhaps you may have seen these bands referred to as the Magnificent Seven before...

The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The Who
    Jimi Hendrix
    The Doors

They were (arguably) the seven most influential from the early-60's to mid 70's in the development of rock music.
    But now the hard question.... which is your favorite?
    This isn't a "who was the greatest?" or "who was the most influential?" Just, "who is your favorite?"

(now obviously, there are many many more who were vital in the development of rock, i.e. Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, etc... but I'm just keeping the poll to these seven. So please no "Where's Bo Diddley?!" comments or anything)
  2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

The Carrots, all the way.
  3. electracoyote

electracoyote

It's a really tough choice, I love all those bands and I own their entire catalogs.

To me, the question always goes back to which band is the keystone, which band experimented with the styles and directions that some of the others ran with and put more emphasis on.

There's only one band on that list, IMO, that was/is the keystone. Not saying they are the best band on that list, but they had their fingers in a lot of musical pies, and in doing so, I believe they opened some doors and liberated/encouraged other bands to follow suit.
  4. JimK

JimK

First, I have never heard those bands referred to as "The Mag 7"...where have I been?
    Today...if I hadda pick...it's The Beatles. I became a fan around '65-'66. Went away from them for a long while...came back when their catalog was 1st issued on cds (late '80s?).
    A bit after The Beatles, The Doors became "my band" (late '60s)...I just read a book over the holidays about The Doors. Some commented how many musicians/bands may have been influenced by The Doors (even Aerosmith)...no one sounds like them! Some even commented how The Doors helped influence Punk-Rock.
    Anyway-
    '72-'75...Led Zep & Deep Purple (IMO, they should be part of the Mag 7...with Sabbath, too) were "my bands".
    FWIW, I always preferred The Faces over The Stones...and all the crap I have bought (1000s of albums)...I have never bought anything by Pink Floyd. Not sure why, either.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

7. nutso42

nutso42

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I'll get flak for this, but, to be completely honest, I've never really liked any of those bands. Don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoy some of their songs, and I can appreciate what each group did for popular music, but none of them really spoke to me on any meaningful level.
  9. Bo_H

Bo_H

I had to go with the Who.
  10. Mugre

Mugre

Went with the Who as well. PT's songwriting just speaks to me more than the others.

Big Plus One to Faces over the Stones and Humble Pie over both.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You left off the Doobie Brothers.
  12. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Pink Floyd followed insanely close by The Who.
  13. onosson

onosson

From that list, I would order them as "favourites":

1 Led Zep
    2 Pink Floyd
    3 Doors
    4 Hendrix
    5 Stones
    6 Beatles
    7 Who
  14. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

15. zachoff

zachoff

Had a really hard time deciding between The Who and Zeppelin, but The Who was my dad's favorite band and the memories of listening to album after album on vinyl growing up finally got me. Plain and simply, The Who reminds me of good times. Nothing to watch on our three channels of TV? Crank up Who's Next! Mom's cooking pancakes on Sunday morning, dad's rolling a J after work? Throw on Tommy! I had a weird childhood according to most, but wouldn't have it any other way. Ruled.

I also love Hendrix, The Stones, and The Beatles. Floyd & The Doors are probably the fallouts of the seven... For me, anyway.
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have never heard anyone refer to these bands as the "Magnificent Seven".

My order would be

1. The Beatles
    2. The Who
    3. Led Zeppelin

The others wouldn't even be on my list. Never liked The Rolling Stones, except for a few early songs. Jagger can't sing. Charlie Watts drumming and Bill Wyman's bass playing are very simple.

I was into The Doors for a short time about 30 years ago but quickly grew tired of them.

I know I will take heat for this but in my opinion, Hendrix is one of the most over rated players ever. Very noisy and sloppy. Even many Hendrix fans have told me that they agree but feel that he did things with the guitar that hadn't been heard before. I'll give him that but I'll take Clapton over him any day.

Pink Floyd, I appreciate the musicianship but have never been much of a fan. The only album I can actually tolerate is Dark Side Of The Moon and I rarely listen to it.
  17. zachoff

zachoff

Get a great set of headphones, crank Electric Ladyland to the point where you can't hear anything else, and tell me you hate it when you're done. That album sometimes brings tears to my eyes it's so brilliant.
  18. champbassist

champbassist

Of these, Pink Floyd for sure.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had to say Jimi.

Man, I do love Jimi.

Sorry, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Beatles and Stones! I do love all you guys, but that just shows how much I love Jimi.
  20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Sorry but I have heard it. In fact, it was the first Hendrix album I aver bought. I actually disliked it so much that I threw it away.

Here is how Rolling Stone Magazine reviewed the album when it first came out.

Tony Glover in a November 1968 review in Rolling Stone was hesitant with his praise, feeling that the album is "an extended look into Hendrix's head" and that "mostly it seems to have some pretty good things in it"; he wondered if Hendrix was all style with no substance"

Pretty much sums up how I feel about it except I never liked Hendrix style. We all have our own tastes and he just didn't do it for me.
  21. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm 62 and I've never heard of that bunch referred to as the Magnificent Seven. I'm sure that idea was made up for this post.

As far as I'm concerned the Magnificent Seven is a western.

My favorite? Depends on my mood.