1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Manosphere

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Dec 25, 2013.

How would you categorize your views regarding the Manosphere

Poll closed Jan 6, 2014.
  1. MGTOW

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. PUA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. White Knight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Radical Feminist

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Equity Feminist

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. MRA

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Traditionalist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. other (explain)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. what the heck are you talking about? - aka The carrot farmer

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

I think the time is ripe for an open and honest discussion about the state of men in the civilized world. This thread is open to men and women, and posts will be carefully scrutinized to ensure they conform to TB rules - no politics or mention of laws whether you perceive them to be fair or unfair.

The term "The Manosphere" was promoted in a book of the same name by Ian Ironwood. The work collected ideas that have been floating around since the first days of the BBS. I included a poll to cover some of the major descriptions that have been associated with this environment. Keep it respectful and thoughtful. Of course, women are welcome and encouraged to participate in a topic in which most have more than a passing interest. Any posts remotely political will be addressed appropriately under the aforementioned TB rules.

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

3. Marley's Ghost

Man, that was quick. :eek:

4. paste

paste Supporting Member

^ :D

OP seems to make one of these threads every other month or so. Last one got deleted and the one before was locked.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marley's Ghost

I'm jumping in as an MRA (surprise, surprise). In so many arenas, from culture to family to education, men have been marginalized and maligned. This is also hurting women, as the natural evolution is resulting in men "opting out" of relationships. Fathers are being driven away in massive numbers, resulting in a wave of dysfunctional families. It's time to raise awareness and stop the bleeding.

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

OK - let me clarify. Marley's Ghost, you've started a few threads around this subject.

My response is as stated on one of the previous discussions - from what you've posted before, I'm sorry to hear that you've had a difficult time, and this subject is obviously something that interests you and/or plays on your mind. But I really, really don't think this stuff is either healthy or offers any kind of solution.

All the best for next year.

8. Marley's Ghost

9. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Marxist-Leninist.

10. Marley's Ghost

It's a topic growing in awareness among millions of men (and women who love/support men) worldwide.

Back atcha - hope 2014 is awesome for you as well.

11. knumbskull

knumbskull

cheers dude - take care :)

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

I actually LIKE women.

And misogyny makes me VERY angry.

I do wish you'd get over whatever issues you have, or at least leave them off of this forum.

13. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Honestly I think many women want it both ways. They want a man to be sensitive and pretty much a wuss when that's what they are in the mood for. Other times they want a lumber jack. It's our job to know when they want which guy. And that is a moving target. I lucked and found a women who wants mostly a lumber jack. So I only miss the target on the very rare occasion that she wants a sensitive wuss.

This is all based on decades of scientific research having dated and/or married quite a few different kinds of women.

14. Marley's Ghost

I love women. I have two great daughters that I cherish. We should not tolerate misogyny or misandry - hatred of women or men. But misandry is tolerated in western cultures. It's joked about almost everywhere you look. The inept dude constantly being upstaged by the smarter wiser woman. This is just not the way things are in reality.

15. Milk

Milk

^What the guy said.

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I read stuff from the MRA recently, and, although the basic premise and idea behind it seems okay, it didn't take me long to find some of the more misogynistic writers and spokespeople for the movement. To say the least, it gets pretty bad. Perhaps there are more agreeable writers in the movement, but the ones I found were rather despicable.

+1

I think there's a lot of truth to that statement (although it certainly isn't always the case). A girl friend of mine posted this article on Facebook recently, and this was my retort to it. It, more or less, explains my views on this subject:

http://revelationsofacoffeedrinker....alry-is-dying-but-whos-to-blame.html?spref=fb

"Chivalry isn’t dead – it’s just outdated.

There’s no reason why a man can’t hold a door open for a woman, call her instead of text her, or elect to pay for their first date together; but there’s no reason why the inverse can’t, or shouldn’t, be true, either.

I’ve read a lot of articles recently asking this same question, and the vast majority of them try to determine which sex is to blame for this phenomenon. Personally, I think it’s a bit sexist to try to put blame on either gender. Rather, it’s more important to remember the Golden Rule and to treat others the way you want to be treated.

Do you prefer a guy who calls instead of texts? If so, then set the precedent by calling the guy a few times just to say hi and see how he is doing. Do you want a guy who will hold the door open for you whenever you go out? Then set the example by grabbing the door for him on occasion. Would you like a guy who will take charge and pay for a dinner date? Then chip in some and suggest you pay for drinks when you guys go to the bar after your meal.

We live in a westernized society that has seen the (positive) effects of the feminist movement – a movement that has sought equality between the sexes so that everyone is treated with the respect and decency that they deserve. The idea that men must be chivalrous for the sake of being chivalrous is an outdated concept in a society where the woman in a relationship can be more distinguished and successful than the man.

So who’s to blame for this phenomenon? No one; our society has simply changed and the role of each sex in a relationship has evolved into something much greater than the simple breadwinner/homemaker construct of yesteryear. Because of this, it’s best to refer back to the Golden Rule and to remember that we, as people, often reap what we sow, and that the best way to get others to treat you the way you want to be treated is to set the example first."

17. Marley's Ghost

Its sad how men are so thoroughly indoctrinated that the desire for equal rights is somehow twisted around to being misogynistic. Until you get your clock cleaned in a divorce, or your kids are abused/alienated by their mother. And you learn that there is almost nothing you can do about it. That should be a wake up call, but most guys just take the beatings and crawl away.

18. Marley's Ghost

Agreed. The frustration level is causing some MRA's to lash out.

But this pales in comparison to the volume of seething hatred and denigration radical feminists blast at men. Why is this somehow tolerable and acceptable? Double standard anyone?

+1

Most feminists blast this type of chivalrous behavior as denigrating to the equality movement. They believe they are (rightfully so) fully capable of picking up/splitting tabs and holding doors equally with men.

I was on a lunch date with a professional woman who insisted on splitting the tab, and I got the distinct feeling she was somewhat insulted when I offered to pick it up. To save face, I offered to alternate paying, which also got me an opening for a second date :)

19. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Alright, I'm jumping in. It is not acceptable, and it is not accepted. It is almost universally seen as damaging to feminism. You're arguing with the general populace against this, yet somehow you think everyone's against you.

What troubles me is the persecution complex, the idea that men are disadvantaged on a societal scale. It reminds me of some other phenomena I won't share here for the sake of keeping things civil. Suffice to say such persecution complexes are rarely justified.

20. fmoore200

fmoore200

Every night in my dreams they do :bag:

21. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

+1

I posted this a few weeks ago, but the problem with the MRA narrative, among other things, is that it's predicated upon a belief that feminism is a homogenous movement with a singular agenda. Of course, the prototypical feminist is a man-hating Mary Daly type looking to destroy the heteronormative ideal and install a gynocracy. While the man-haters do exist and there is some Third Wave feminist stuff that I personally don't buy into, to paint feminism with such a broad brush is intellectually dishonest. However, the MRA/TFL/MGTOW/whatever-abbreviation-they-call-themselves-nowadays is fueled by that very narrative. Speaking anecdotally, I know the gold-digging, want to have their cake and eat it too type of women that are often the target of the MRA vitriol. Trust me, these women aren't interested in feminist ideals. They've probably never taken a women's studies course. I doubt they know who Betty Friedan is, and they're not engaging in the discourse about women's or men's issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.