The Manta and the OFD?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WaldoNova, Jan 7, 2014.

1. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Would this combination be redundant with the available drive in the Manta? I rarely use Fuzz by itself without a filter and when I do I like a sputterry gated fuzz. Can the drive in the Manta do this?

I almost pulled the trigger on the OFD and then I thought of this. I know I'll eventually get the OFD when the HUB is available but for now it seems like it would be redundant.

Does anyone have both of these? Please chime in if you do.

I eventually want to consolidate my setup. Right now the EHX Multiplexer, BEF, Oxide and XeroDeluxe are in danger of being booted off my board. I can see my MicroPog, a Subterrana (when it arrives, hopefully soon!!!) an OFD, the Manta, the Orbital into a Nimbus(or the SA Soundblox2 reverb unit, we'll see when the Nimbus arrives). All of this with a HH3 or 2 and the Dual expression pedal with a midi mouse or midi moose and the HUB. The possibilities are awesome. I can't wait to try this setup!!!

So would the OFD be redundant in this setup?
  2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    I would definitely say that the OFD is not redundant at all. With the OFD you have full control over the drive. With the Manta, you just select the type of drive and the "amount" of drive. OFD you get gain, 3 band tone controls, gate options, and obviously a slew of different modes to choose from.

Here are the drives types from the Manta (from the manual):

Pretty sure these drives are inline with the Multiwave distortion, not the OFD. Very different sounding (Multiwave being digital and synthy, OFD being more natural, organic/classic sounds).

Hope this helps.
  3. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

John does point out a good point about OFD vs Manta. I just got my manta and have only tinkered with it a little bit and do wish there was some eq in there! but then I watched the Nathan Navarro manta demo video and he gets some killer sounds.

So, it seems to me the if you want a distorted/filter thing, the Manta has a lot to offer, it's like a mini multi-fx. Phasers, filters, distortions, fun
  4. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Our intent with the Manta was to add in the most useful distortion tones we could given the limited code space and knob control options we had to do so. Some tones try to be like the OD of a OFD. Some try to be like the gated fuzz of the OFD. Some try to capture the synthy tones of the Multiwave. If you like them, then you are all set. If you need more, then we hopefully have that covered too!! :)
  5. WaldoNova

Thursday I'll have a better idea. The Manta was waiting for me when I got home but I'm working early and I have plans for tonight. I'm off all day Thursday so aside from a few minor day off things I plan on spending some board time. I'm going to try running it without the XeroD and the Oxide specifically to see if I can what I want from just the Manta at home. Saturday we have practice so that'll be the real test.

I think JohnB is right through. I'll definitely want to tweak the gain, EQ and whatnot so I'm pretty certain I'll end up getting the OFD eventually. Very helpful information. I spent some time last night when I got home and read the manual. I was going to plug it in but I knew I would've ended up playing way to late and I would have a miserable day today.

RSmith any updates/idea when the HUB will be officially available?

I hear you GG!!! It should be a lot of fun tweaking around with the Manta when I get the chance. Good times for sure!
  6. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Should be next week. I will post something in S.A.S.S.
  7. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    You can get some very good synthy sounds from just the Manta, as well as some usable drive tones from just the Manta. It's not that the Manta cannot nail it alone, but you can still push the synthiness much further with some upstream tone shaping pedals like an octaver or super good gated fuzz. Also, some downstream effects can also further push the synth tone - try some slow, shallow chorus, other modulation, delays and verb, etc.
  8. iggy

iggy

Would getting both the HH3 and the expression pedal to use with the SA soundblox 2 pedals be redundant? I mean both are designed to act as an expression means to control a parameter of the pedal.
  9. WaldoNova

I guess it would depend on the application and how you used the HH3 and the Expression. I'm thinking about using the HH3 for modulation mostly and the expression to fade in some gain. Some settings on the filter I'd rather have just a regular envelope and some I'd want to use the HH3. I've never been great with a Wah Wah/expression pedal so the simpler the application with one the better.

For me I would probably end up getting the expression pedal last and I'll probably end up using it very little but it does ad some flexibility which is always good.
  10. WaldoNova

Gastric is right. The Manta can do some synthy sounds with the built in drive but I want/need to take it a little more upstream. I don't really like how the gate option sounds. I just ordered the OFD and I'm hoping this will have the sound I'm looking for in it. From what I've heard it should.

That's going to be 3 soundblox2 pedals on my board. The Manta, the Orbital and the OFD. Next in line being the hub. I may end up with the Dimension reverb but I have an IE Nimbus coming via trade that will get every opportunity to earn it's place on the board. The only disadvantage is versatility. Like every other SA pedal there seems to be an endless amount of options. Even if I only like 2 or 3 of them it's still the best option. And with the HUB, 128 options.

I may be the first to ask this(maybe not) but when is SA going to be releasing an end all delay pedal? It seems like the next obvious step. I know there's been talk of a synth pedal and once they solve the tracking it'll probably fall together relatively quick but in the meantime.......