1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Mars Volta broke up. What's next for Juan?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tupac, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

If you haven't heard, Cedric left, and the band pretty much terminated. So what's next for Juan? He said that bassists these days need multiple projects to survive, and I don't see him making a living off of Big Sir and Vato Negro. Both are pretty lackluster IMO.
  2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    He would be a great consultant or rep for any number of MI companies for amps/effects. Of course if he wants to make money quick he could reconnect with Paul Gilbert for a Racer X reunion album/tour.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Juan is one of my absolute favorite rock bassists going these days. Love his playing and I also dig the fact that he serves as such a good role model for Latino kids who may want to get into music.

I used to be a huge TMV fan, but Noctourniquet really put me off. Sorry to see them go, but it may have been time anyway.

Hope Juan lands a big time gig.
  4. Auspex

Auspex

ughhh, not cool. serious bummer on my day. :(
  5. DudeLeap

DudeLeap

I really need to give these guys a good listen, I turned towards Sparta because they sounded more like atdi.
  6. dickfitts

dickfitts

mmmmmmm.........oi, oi.............
  7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Is there any word on the status of the Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group? I know that the last ORLG tour ended up being a completely different band - Bosnian Rainbows - who I like, but Juan is not involved as far as I know. I 'get' Big Sir and Vato Negro but so far their work doesn't stand up to the stuff he's done in collaboration with the Mars Volta crowd.

In his message about the end of TMV, Cedric Bixler-Zavala mentioned his upcoming solo releases, and Juan Alderete's Facebook page describes him as bassist for Bixler-Zavala. So, we can probably expect some more work by Alderete in connection with Bixler-Zavala, if not other Mars Volta or ORLG musicians as well.
  8. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

I hope he figures something out with Cedric. I was always a huge fan of Juan's, and I was as even bigger fan of The Mars Volta. It was a heart breaker to see them go.

On a side note Bosnian Rainbows is actually pretty good! I saw them last night here in Atlanta and it was honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen. I managed to hang around for an extra hour and meet everyone but Omar. He walked in a back room as soon as the set ended and I didn't seem him come out for over an hour. Shame they don't have a bassist at all, haha. Just a keyboard player (Nicci Kasper).
  9. Atomsforpeas

Atomsforpeas

Shame to see big Sir so underated around here, i love it. Same with PRE Omar vato negro.

I think we're gonna see him focus on his pedals and effects site, play with Dave elitch some more, triclops and of course Cedric in the future.

Hopefully he is still in touch with Deantoni, dude is an absolute beast, it would be a shame to see such promising duo gone. I would KILL to hear an Omarless vato negro album with D.
  10. bottomend!

bottomend!

Saw him play at a small club here in Hollyweird a few weeks ago.
  11. Tupac

Tupac

So, any feel like reminiscing on the best Juan lines? Day of the Baphomets is king, everyone knows that, but Cassandra Gemini was amazing, with a cool solo in it (at 19:50).