The Mediocre Bassist Club, pt. 4 - We can count to four!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Adam Bomb, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Greetings! Welcome to the new spot.

Here's linkages to our previous highs of middling:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f32/mediocre-bassist-club-493898/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f32/mediocre-bassist-club-pt-2-bigger-better-not-so-much-618133/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f32/mediocre-bassist-club-pt-3-mbc3-755561/

And here is the post that started this:

We have come a long way since then. We have grown, both in number and as musicians. And we have found ourselves better received by bandmates and audiences than we might have thought based on, e.g., getting pwnt at Guitar Centers by 9 year olds. (Which still happens to me.) This is where we come and say, "All I did was lock in with the drummer and play the root and maybe sometimes a fifth and I got into the band / I got props from other bass players / I got the girl / I got the boy / I got an endorsement deal / I got my share of the tip jar. We don't play because we're awesome at it. We play because we love it. This matters more than I'd dared hope.

So, welcome :hyper: if you're new, and welcome back :hyper: if you're not. Newcomers, if you would like a number, please expressly say so, and tell us a little about you and how awesomely mediocre you are. If you asked for a number back in Pt.3 and I didn't get you, I'll hook you up here. I issue numbers every couple weeks, but you're in when you ask. For life! :bassist:

Alright then

--Bomb :bassist:

2. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Four already? I'm here. And I'll show off a bit. Here's my family of babies...

[​IMG]

Plus one...

[​IMG]

3. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

Geez, I want that orange Lakland...

4. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Whoo, baby, them's some swett swett basses ... *drool*

Headed out to a gig! Playing two solos, one more or less improved. Also wrote a new bass line for one song. Last night. What could go wrong? :D

--Bomb :bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lady Kayri

Lady Kayri

Nice stable, Tat. I gotta take some new photos of mine with the new Dinger added in...

Yep, nice to be trusted to write your own bass lines, even if they are mostly root - fifth with the occasional octave thrown in... So long as the band is happy, I am happy. Plus they'll let me change it up somewhat, once we get the setlist down solid!

7. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Thank you thank you thank you everyone. That little amber Lakland is an amazing player. She won't be my only Lakland forever, though. I'm sure I'll have another one.

8. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Still here.
    Still mediocre.
    Still practicing.
    Still learning.
    Still trying to dial in my amp.
    Still playing the same slap and pop lines I could before, only a little better.
    Still pounding out roots....'CAUSE EVERYONE LOVES A ROOT BASS PLAYER.
    Still in awe of those who are actually talented.
    Still taking lessons.

Still firmly rooted in this club.

9. kiripunk

kiripunk

I can see myself in your post, Can i Join? Besides if Jay Bentley (I really like him) is in here I wanna b here 2, pls! :hyper:

10. Limadito

Limadito

There is no other place to stay for me.
    Mediocre bassist for ever! :)

11. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Yes, we can indeed count to four!

12. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

It's natural. It's how we play....

"one and two and three and four and one and two and three and four....."

13. GladToBeBack

GladToBeBack

IMO, being mediocre is a blessing. That way, when you do nail a cool sounding melody line or walk or run or simply add-lib with a well placed slide- it gets noticed. Instead of those showboats who do it so often it becomes expected...

I still enjoy watching really good players go to work though.

14. Tat2dHeart

Went today for Round 2 with the drummer guy. IT WAS AWESOME! I think we're gonna turn this little Sunday fun into something bigger. Round 3 is the Sunday after Easter and we're bringing in a guitar player for the first time to play with us.

15. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Go get 'em, Tat!!!

Yesterday I went to a blues jam/open mic with the lead guitarist from my (soon to be "previous") band. I really like the guy on a personal level, we've become good friends, even if we don't click in a band scenario. We didn't play, we just had a beer or two and checked out the musicians. I kinda wished I'd brought a bass. There were no other bass players other than the house player and he looked.......bored.

So Rick says to me...

"You know what you need? A hat. Like a black cowboy hat. That would get you more playing time anywhere. Hats make a bass player."

I think he needs to get Chad to play with him. Isn't Chad the "Hat Guy"?

16. Lady Kayri

Lady Kayri

I think I agree with Tat. If you play mostly basics, when you do play a really nice fill - and manage to nail it - the rest of the band really notices, and usually says something nice.

And hats... Don't normally wear them playing, but I have an Aussie style bush hat and three fedoras... Maybe I should try wearing one to a gig or two, once we start playing out, and see what happens!

17. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Yes, wear a hat. Any kind of hat, just wear one.

For one thing, they add an extra air of coolness to a musician. Two, if it has a bill or edge over your forehead, it can shield your eyes from the glare of stage lights.

18. Tat2dHeart

Do you think if I wore a hat in addition to playing barefoot, it would look too gimmicky? :D

19. Tat2dHeart

I appreciate the credit for that sentiment, but it's not mine. That was GladToBeBack chiming in from one post above me.

20. GamecockDan

GamecockDan

Hmmm...a use for my despair.com cap :)

21. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I'm still looking for my Chad/caeman hat.

In black. I need that hat for gigs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.