the mid-life rut?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Icey101

Icey101

This is hard to explain. For a good six to 12 months I've been lacking enthusiasm. I dont feel like looking forward to doing anything interesting, weeks go by. I dont do much on the weekends any more. I used to work on the house alot but most of the jobs are now complete so I just sit around watching tv. My kids are grown up teenagers now and dont need help much anymore. Most people look forward to travelling or going on holidays, I don't. I've got some old motorbikes that need restoring and I can't be bothered starting work on them. I still go to the gym and ride my cycle for exercise, so i am still fit but seem to be in a bit of a rut. Is this some sort of mid-life depression? I need to break out and get going again but dont seem to want to.

2. Milk

Milk

yeah well death is closing in. What's left ahead you know? All the best years are obviously behind. The opportunities all gone. Just sit down and wait for death is what I say.

3. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Ha, probably just a down period. They say exercise is the key.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Not to make light of your situation at all, but I would relish the idea of having nothing to do and no motivation to find something to do for a little while. Life is full of ups and downs, so unless you are clinically depressed, I'd let it ride for a while.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Flagging testosterone. Soon you'll be crying at most movies that have a real story with any sentiment; avoid them at all cost. Need for Speed: that's the ticket.

7. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

That was somewhat of a douchey response.

8. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

I changed careers into something I've always wanted to do. When that didn't work out, I changed careers back. Now, I'm big into Angry Birds. Pretty lame. I'd like to get back into music performance though.

9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

I can somewhat relate. Although I'm a pretty immature 44 (45 next month! Gasp!!)

I didn't start playing bass till halfway through my 42nd year. That was a big one for me as it's opened up a whole new world, and I'm now doing band stuff that feels very exciting for the first time at any age. I find the hard part with most undertakings is taking the first step to doing it ... once I get it going I can be engaged, but often don't look forward to it (not counting cleaning the apartment :p) Having someone to do stuff with really really helps here ... you can kind of push each other and see results that validate your time as well spent. Hope this makes sense.

10. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

69 Camaro or GTO. Do mid life the right way.

11. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

We're all just circling the drain, you don't notice it so much until you get to those faster-moving inner circles.

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I'm not sure if this is to be taken seriously or not.

But still even if the best years are behind you there's always the chance of few good years ahead.

13. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I think third hit it on the head... Plus we go through this... you look at your life and it begins to dawn on you that you have more years behind you than ahead of you..If it lasts for more than a month or so I'd talk to my doctor. Also what are you eating? You'd be surprised at how much what we eat affects our mood.

14. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

When I hit 40, my life took off. Ids we're grow, so I just did what I wanted...even when it was nothing. Turned 50 today, and I'm planning 50 more years of awesomeness. Bought self a new car to celebrate.

15. dieselbass

dieselbass

Might try a project partner for the bikes. I turn 50 later this year and have some hard earned wisdom with the years. I'm also watching my dad who's in his late 70's restore an old John Deere wagon for a local museum and having a blast. My son and I are his project buddies on this.

Don't throw in the towel though. Yeah, some days I think about more days behind then ahead, but that passes pretty quick. Like the song says, "I'm not as good as I once was/but I'm as good once as I ever was". Get out and get after it.

16. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

go get a physical....a comprehensive one.....all the middle age guy stuff.....this is the time when people you don't know start getting real familiar with your tail pipe.....it's entirely possible you're just a little depressed....it's also possible that even though you feel physically fit,that things are wrong under the hood.....

if it's just middle age "whats it all for" blahs,get over it.... ,go buy some toys, and have some fun....cause 40 may not be as fun as 20 or 30,but it is way more fun than 50 or 60.....and there's really no more time to find yourself.....you're it,for good or ill.....make it count .....

but if something is wrong you need to know now....

17. Milk

Milk

I call it humor.

18. matante

matante

Happy birthday!

19. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

You go to the gym. I assume you re a musician since you're posting here. In both of these endeavors I plateau & find I have to just work through them. Alternatively you could feep going to the gym, switch it up (weight training, aerobics) or find something else (yoga, swimming, martial arts). For music, take lessons for bass or learn another instrument. Having a daily meditation regime might prove helpful as well.

20. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

In Deer. A "rut" is when they are having a lot of happy time with the doe's. Maybe eat some zinc, get some excercise, and start mating a lot. Itll be a good passtime till you find that next undertaking.

21. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

I get the blues on a regular basis. I strongly recommend ridiculously violent video games. Add in some creative language and voila, you have Bulletstorm! :D

;)