1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Mike Lull Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ron Plichta, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Thanks. Send us a note if you start a continuation thread so one of us can close the previous club thread.

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I'd like to get a nice, passive P bass and I'm seriously considering a Lull.

My questions have to do with comparing Lull's P4 vs. UP4. Per Lull's web site, I understand what the differences are. And the UP4 cost $300 more than the P4.

Can anyone comment on what they felt either the tone or tactile differences are?

4. kai_ski

kai_ski

I think the only difference is the Brazilian Rosewood board as standard on the ultra vintage series, thus the price difference. I'm not sure you would notice the difference in tone or feel.

Here's a shot of me playing my PJ5 at a Sundance Film Festival gig this week, through my GB Streamliner and GK NEO 212. Sorry for the filter, but my girlfriend was playing with my iphone and this is actually the best angle that she got.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply.

Agreed on the Brazilian but the UP4 also has one less fret and a different fretboard radius.

That said, I wonder if you can feel or more importantly hear the difference.

7. pauliebass

pauliebass

The rounder radius of the fingerboard is where you will feel the biggest difference on the ultra.

8. pauliebass

pauliebass

Feel, yes. Hear, I don't think so.

9. JGintheHam

JGintheHam Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Mike Lull endorsing artist
    Are you running passive or active? If passive, do you ever miss active? Trying to brainstorm my next build. Thx.

Jeff

10. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    The UP4 has 1 less fret than the P4, and the fretboards are different radii. I thought the bodies might be different sizes, but I just spoke with Mike and he says they both have a full size P body.

11. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Hey Greg, thanks for the chat today.

12. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    My pleasure, Leon. Good luck in your hunt!

13. kai_ski

kai_ski

Passive. This was my first Lull. I had an M5V (Bart 3-band and Duncans) for about 9 months. They're both fantastic instruments, but I prefer the PJ to the JJ. My biggest issue with the active was that it sounded so different in passive mode. So I guess the answer is "no" I don't miss having an active preamp, but the bar was set by the PJ and the active bass failed to live up to it. At times I do miss the bass though. Someday I'd like to find a replacement JJ with a great passive tone.

I've played it in a lot of different indie/rock/pop/blues/soul/r&b settings, and with VVT I can achieve pretty much any sound I want. I'm not much of a slap/pop guy, even though it's fun to do in the basement, I rarely go that route at a gig. Even when I do, the PJ5 pulls it off just fine. I should give some credit to the Streamliner 900 + 2xNEO212 rig as well. It is a killer combination and has cured my amp gas for now. If I ever need eq for a specific sound, I have a paradriver on my board that I can use to get whatever i need. Usually, I just set the gain/eq on the amp and play the gig.

14. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

15. JGintheHam

JGintheHam Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Mike Lull endorsing artist
    Right on. Great answer.

16. vates

vates

17. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

In with a new order. Waiting begins.

18. chris_b

chris_b

Hi from the UK. I've been playing my Lull PJ5 for 9 months and currently I'm making the best noise I've made in years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

I've been playing Mike's basses for years and love the feel and tone. When he released the UVP4 I immediately went to his shop to check one out. I have always loved vintage radius basses and figured I'd want to order one. I went back and forth playing a P4 and a UVP4 at his shop and ended up liking the P4 with the 12" radius much more. Just my experience, but I think his stock P4 and V4 necks are the most comfortable and easiest to play of any bass I've ever had.

Besides, that's what Mike himself plays - a P4 with alder body in Aztec Gold, P width neck with 12" radius brazilian rosewood board.

20. pauliebass

pauliebass

Mike's personal P is absurd. I thought about running out of his shop with it! Right after I grabbed his 2 pre CBS fenders! :)

21. Gr8tbass

Gr8tbass

Here' s some pics of my baby. I love this thing :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.