The Mike Miller Foot Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfran, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Has anyone ever seen one of these before? (I'm not sure if it qualifies as a bass guitar exactly, so mod's please move this if necessary.)

The Mike Miller Foot Bass. The amazing 2-stringed bass you play with your foot! It's in great condition and is a stylish shade of baby poop brown.

I found it online about 15 yrs. ago and decided I had to have it. The only info I could find at the time was that it was built around 1970. None of my local experts had ever seen one either. Obviously, it didn't quite take the music world by storm...

The primitive pickup actually sounds decent- (it's hidden under the huge metal cover.) I had an easier time playing it by hand on a table. Sorry. I don't have any sound clips.

The 2nd pic is taken from the instruction sheet that was inside the chipboard case.

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Wow, really? I thought it might be rare, but... WOW.

*sound of crickets*
  3. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

The Office of the Medical Examiner has determined that this thread died from lack of interest. :rollno:

Not many TB'ers with a foot fetish, I guess...
  4. cdef

cdef

Don't have any pertinent info, but I've had a pic of that thing for years and wondered about it:

[​IMG]

Maybe it was intended for singer/songwriter types who wanted some low notes. Seems to me you'd have to nail or tape it
    to the floor, and you'd have to watch your toe action, too. - Anyhow, it became totally obsolete with the invention of MIDI.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

By the same token all other instruments also became obsolete with the advent of MIDI. No need to even go to the gig anymore, just mail them a synth and email the files.:crying:

I quite like the thing. I think it would not be so easy to play and it is, er, not pretty. But I'm happy that it exists!
  7. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the reponses and the pic, cdef.

I can just about make out some feet there on the underside, so it'd hopefully stay put for use. That one-sheet is slightly different than mine which seems weird to me. As in I doubt they ever had to do a 2nd printing due to overwhelming demand.

You're correct in that it was geared toward folks that wanted some bass accompaniment without hiring a bass player. :mad:
    "You'd better stick to roots and fifths buddy, or I'm replacing you with a FOOT BASS!"
  8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

What are the scale length and string gauges? Perhaps we can, collectively, draw an inference about possible tunings.
  9. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Jazzdogg,

The scale length measures 24", the range is 1 octave, and it has 7 tiny frets with stickers that indicate the respective note values.

The upper string appears to be a 'typical' bass guitar A string and is tuned to Ab. The lower string (a typical D) is tuned to Eb.

I removed the cover for additional pics of both the pickup and bridge.

Thanks for asking.

Attached Files:

10. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Thanks! I appreciate the solidarity.
  11. jbossolo

jbossolo

That's one cool piece of bass memorabilia. Have you played it yet? How is it?
  12. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Well, it's a nice conversation piece... :eyebrow:

I've never used it on a gig or anything like that. But it does sound pretty good for what it is.
  13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

It's great knowing these actually existed. Fun stuff!
  14. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Very Kool! Thanks for sharing, while this is prolly not very usefull it is cool to see the ideas of yesterday that have been forgotten over time. I bet it sounds interesting and could would be great for recording.
  15. Rebop

Rebop Supporting Member

I want it!! So cool.
  16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Are you supposed to play it by tapping it with your toe, or by plucking it, or what?
  17. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

Wow, I just noticed that the fretboard is stepped. That should make it much easier to play as intended. With a flat leather sole, especially with a shape like a classic wingtip, I'd imagine you'd hammer on the fret of the note you want. I didn't notice a mute at the nut end, that would make it more useful, I think. A longer scale would be swell, too, to create a little more space for the foot.

Dammit, now I'm thinking about making one!
  18. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Interesting!

More pics please!!!!!
  19. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    It's a toe-tappin' bass machine.

Imagine setting up 2 of 'em for a double bass drummer and the ensuing cacophony. :eek:

1shot1hit- What do you want to see? Let us know and I'll shoot some more pics tomorrow.

grisezd- Don't forget to show your work. I'll subscribe to that thread.
  20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very Strange very strange indeed
  21. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

That....is really weird. I'm curious as to how that odd, dinky little pickup sounds.