1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

the most uncolored amp ? a reference amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ialma, Feb 4, 2013.

1. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

We all know that Yamaha NS-10 are the reference monitors for many studios.
    Does a reference amp/head/cabinet exist ?
    Question n°2 which is the most uncolored head/cabinet around ?
    Regards!
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You will get 50 different answers. All heads and cabs have a voice, and almost every amp and cab has been described as flat by someone.
  3. christopherogut

christopherogut Supporting Member

(pssst... almost anything Trace Elliot... in my opinion at least)
  4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

This.

My guess is the most truly uncolored amp is probably actually some studio mic pre.
  5. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    You can tell if an amp colors by running a CD through it.

"Bass amps" are designed for bass. Same for guitar. The closest "instrument amp" to a reference would be a keyboard amp.

With one exception I've found and it's why I use them.

I use Bag End. They make line arrays and other pro audio speakers. The music cabs are designed on the same principal. In my amp I use the same power section that they put in the line arrays so you can plug a CD, mic, guitar, fiddle, flute or what ever in and it will sound correct, with proper miking and EQ.

This is what you'd want from a reference monitor or pro audio speaker. My bass amp does that.
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Here we go!
  7. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I would have to guess an Ampeg Vintage Tube Amp with the EQ set Flat and a very small amount of Pre-Gain.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Reference doesn't necessarily imply uncolored. :rollno:

FYI, NS-10s are/were a reference for the typical, crappy bookshelf speakers many folks use/used.
  9. JHAz

JHAz

not to rain on the thread, but I'm not sure we want truly flat from bass output to speaker output. Could try a good mixer, PA amp and PA speakers. Maybe straight in to a QSC K12 or something.

And BTW, I agree, NS10s . . . used to read that if you could make it sound good on those, it would sound good anywhere . . .
  10. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Sorry, I've read the Yamahas were a reference speakers for many studios. Now I understand why, but it does not change the sense of the thread.
    Ok, looks like there is no answer to my question, I'll delete the thread.
  11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Good channel strip into power amp.
  12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Check out Euphonic Audio. Their design philosophy for their amps is transparent sound, and they have very high product quality. As for speakers, something like a high quality studio monitor might do the trick. Bass cabs depart from transparency in some important ways. They tend to cut off the lowest frequencies, which is probably a tonal preference but also a size tradeoff. And they also tend to have more peaks and dips in the midrange which is probably a tradeoff against complexity and efficiency.

Most bassists, except those who are really seeking a lot of thump, would probably be unhappy with a speaker that is flat down to the lowest fundamental of the bass.
  13. Duckwater

Duckwater

I plug straight into a Carvin mixer that goes into a 800 watt power amp, it's very flat but I still notice a little bit of color.
  14. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector

Always thought Makbass was pretty transparent and uncolored.