The myth of breakfast lunch and dinner

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FreakyStyley69, Nov 14, 2012.

1. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

2. Simo98

Simo98

Interesting read, it makes sense that the way we eat it shaped around standardised working hours.

So when people give me a hard time about my eating habits I can just tell them I'm going Roman style?

I rarely eat breakfast, sometimes a quick snack before I leave the house. If I feel up to it I'll eat a pretty big lunch, and generally that will last me through the rest of the day. I'll often eat again after work, but not always, and generally it will be a fairly small meal again. Occasionally I'll do the opposite, just a quick light meal in the middle of the day and a large tea.

My favourite way to eat is on my days off. I'll wake up close to midday, eat a huge meal, and generally just eat one more small meal later at night.

3. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

It boils down to meal timing is irrelevant. It won't speed up your metabolism it won't make you loose weight. There isn't any one right way, and no breakfast isn't the most important meal of the day.

It's all averages.

If you burn 2000 calories a day.

Eat 500calorues first day, and 3500 the second you won't gain or loose a single pound of fat. Same applies to in the same day. If you eat 2000 calories for breakfast it's no different than 2000 calories for lunch. Or dinner.

Yes your body can absorb more than 30g of protein at one time.

Side note. Seems we were "sold" the idea of breakfast. Really makes you think about how much we do in our daily lives because its natural or the way, that really is just bread consumerism.

4. carlos840

carlos840

I don't really understand what you are getting at?

This article makes no reference to myths, it just explains why things are now the way they are.
    It also makes no references to the 30 grams a day or to the more than 6 meals a day approach!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I find i cant really eat a large meal without basically collapsing right after for the rest of the day. Eating smaller quantities of pretty much everything has really helped me in terms of energy throughout the day, and with very significant weight loss.

Its different for everyone.

7. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

No it just goes along with all the stuff we think we know (which is very little and based off nothing) is bs

8. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

So do what works best for ya. As I said its not important to follow a meal timing plan.

Edit: though alot of the time when people change their ratting habits and it works its often due to, them restricting calories and taking in account of all that they eat.

9. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

What, from this article leads you to state that meal timing is irrelevant? All it says is that people did things different long ago and tells how things have changed throughout time.

Where do you get the notion that breakfast *isn't* the most important meal if your day?

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at with the calorie stuff.
    If your caloric intake is greater than your ability to burn those calories off, you WILL gain weight.
    & vise versa.

Where are you performing/getting these studies about caloric & or protein consumption, and the human body's rate of absorption?
    As convoluted as the health industry is now days, where everyone has a product to sell, I'm curious exactly where you're getting your info.

10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

I didn't get that from reading that article at all.

And as far as what it's based off, well yes most of the do called facts are based off of nothing and quite BS. However the science is there when you're ready to track it down and read it.

Which would be my advice to you, I'm betting it would do so much more for you, than being "sold" junk info from the Internet.
    It's simple, just make sure the info you're reading is from credible sources.

11. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Now there's some solid advice! +1

12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

3 meals were based around working hours.

Yeah, nothing new there at all.

Also, there is more to how our bodies work than calories in vs calories out. The only useful point is "do what works best for you".

13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

The OP and the article have pretty much nil to do with one another...

Did anyone else read the article with the voice over guys from modern marvel's voice in their head?

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Breakfast is the biggest meal of the day for me. I've gone without breakfast on some days and I seem to be "behind the eight ball" the rest of the day on many occasions. Those days where I stop to eat a balanced healthy breakfast, I seem to function better the rest of the day. I find my other meals are also more balanced and healthy. The days I don't eat breakfast, I'm usually super hungry mid morning so I eat junky snack type food while I am working, then usually eat way too much for dinner that night and then snack afterwards before I go to bed.

I can look back at it the next day and see the mistakes I made in how, what, and when I ate the day before. It's like I set myself up to fail by not eating a good breakfast. The days I do eat a good breakfast, I set myself up for success.

*edit.....a successful day is dependent on more things than if I ate breakfast. I just find my chances of a successful day improve when I eat/drink properly.

-Mike

15. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

16. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

The same article says that skipping breakfast can set you up for poor eating habits the rest of the day. Turns out it helps....

What's your beef with breakfast anyhow? What have corned beef hash and eggs ever done to make you treat them so cruel?

17. carlos840

carlos840

I don't know where you read that, but i did not see it!

I know from past "arguments" in the fitness threads that you are really into the whole bro science/gym locker room facts diet, but this article has really nothing to do with that!

18. electracoyote

electracoyote

Must have breakfast.

Eating late in the evening is really bad for me, so I shut down the digestive system at around 5PM every day.

I'm really hungry in the morning.

19. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Not eating during the day (at all, or very little) makes you hungry, if you're a functioning human.
    That means you're uber hungry by the time 6/7/8 rolls around and you crush everything in sight to satisfy that. Is what happens to me during tax busy season(s) and I always gain weight (obviously) during then.
    So I've gone to eating cereal about 9, yogurt about 11, lunch about 1, snack about 4 and dinner at 7. definitely helps control cravings.

20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

What we ate and when in Roman times is meaningless.

Today we know more about nutrition, the way our bodies use food, and the intervals between meals.

Today we are able to eat smarter and more effectively than was dreamed of in history.

The fact that much of the population is obese or morbidly obese doesn't change this - I wrote "we are able"...not "we do"...

21. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

I have, maybe you should do some research.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1905998
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11319656
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18053311

Meal frequency and energy balance
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

Meal timing
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15806828

Shall I go on? All real studies