1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The New Genz benz Nx2 212T vs The Old NeoX 212T!?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mini max 12, Nov 19, 2012.

1. mini max 12

mini max 12

Hi, has anyone a/b these 2 cabs to see if there is any difference in the sound between these 2? Ive been told the newer tolexed cab is louder and lighter in weight than the carpeted cab. Thanx Just pulled the trigger on 1 from Zzounds dont know which model theyll send me, the pic shows carpet but other tbayers said they received the tolexed cab even tho the pic showed carpet!!!??? :hyper::hyper::help::help:

2. willsellout

willsellout

They did make a tolex NeoX 212T as well, I believe. They are being blown out right now. If you did indeed buy the NX2, they only come in tolex.

From what I've read from the GB folks, there is very little difference in sound. It is lighter. Mine is around 43 pounds I think.

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

It's a different driver, but very little difference in tone. And, as a correction, it's more of a bedliner coating: its not tolex.

4. willsellout

willsellout

It's a thicker more rubbery tolex, at least from what I can tell. It's definitely not a bedliner coating; you can see the seams. And yeah Agedhorse said it's a custom faital driver, but not much difference in tone, but better mechanical handling IIRC.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    There's a slight increase in the lows, but it's hardly noticeable to the ear. If I were going to upgrade from the older carpeted version it would be for the weight decrease, or if I needed two and wanted them to match. Shaving 7 pounds off a 50 pound 2x12 is quite a feat!

7. Not yet

Not yet

Bought a 112T from Zounds, they showed the ratfur but I got Tolex... Made them agree to return prepaid if not Tolex

8. mini max 12

mini max 12

Hi, so what im figuring is there is 3 different neo 12s cabs out there, 1- the original carpeted NeoX 212, 2- the updated tolexed NeoX 212 with same drivers same weight, and then the tolexed new drivers less weight NX2 212. Does this sum it up? Also where are they blowing the olds ones out??? :hyper::hyper:

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The 112neoX and the 212neoX are being blown out. They originally had ratfur (I have one) and then with a nubby finish. The new NX2 version will have a different badge on it. Also, they are lighter (the 212 version is about 6 lbs lighter on the specs). I don't know what other differences there are, if any.

If you get one that has a "Neo" badge, then it's not the new NX2 version. I doubt they'd be selling the new version at blowout prices.

10. mini max 12

mini max 12

Hi, does anyone know what stores are blowing these out, what are the blowout prices???:help::help: Thanx

11. Musicman20

Musicman20

I'm still interested in hearing what the sound difference is. Is the new NX2 nice and punchy in the mids? I want a cab with a nice strong midrange.

12. willsellout

willsellout

I thought Rocket Music was but they might be gone now. Ebay might be a good place to look as well. Prices were around 600.00 or so I think.

13. Freddels

Rocket just posted that they have only two 112neoX cabs available. Go down to the Rocket forum and you can see.

14. Freddels

I don't know if they're even out yet. I haven't heard of anyone getting one. If you want punchy mids, look at the UBER cabs. My 212neoX seems very flat. Whatever goes in is what comes out.

15. willsellout

willsellout

They are indeed out, I've had one for about a month now. I wouldn't say it's flat, it puts out what you put in for the most part, but it does have a voice of it's own. With the Streamliner, I found it to be more to my liking than the Uber cabs.

16. Freddels

I agree. But it doesn't seem to have a mid hump or scoop or anything. I used to run my SVT-II (nonpro) through it and it sounded very good. The Uber cabs are voiced more toward the rock tone (if that's even a way to describe it). I would probably love the Uber cabs if I had one.