The new Gibson EB Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassguy86, Sep 9, 2013.

1. thebassguy86

thebassguy86

So, I've been on the market for a new bass for around a stack. I've looked, played, and plugged in just about every bass that I can to look over. There have been some really, REALLY competent pieces, but I'm not looking for a specific sound or feel. I'm looking for some that is a little more "universal".

I think I've come to a conclusion with the 2013 Gibson EB bass, but I want some second (third, fourth, etc) opinions. Let me have it!
  2. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I played one for a while at a guitar center and was really impressed. It was way better than all the other gibsons they had in stock (tbird 50th anniversary, regular tbird, sg). Liked it more than the fenders I tried too. I say go for it.
  3. jjacobson

jjacobson Supporting Member

I've had mine for about 6-months now and I like it a lot. Comfortable to play and really great tones.
  4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

5. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I played one off and on when it was on the wall at the local shop who put up with me. I didn't like the neck as much as I like other Gibsons, because it was flattened out on the back like a Fender. It can do what a Jazz can do, but it is more versatile because of the pickups and wiring. If I were in the market for something like it, I would probably buy one instead of a Fender.
  6. Joey3313

Joey3313

The babicz bridge is a nice touch, but from the couple that I have noodled around with in store have left me with the thought that they feel cheap. Then again, the majority of Gibson's that I've touched in the past 4-5 years have the same feeling.

The finish, the feel of the neck and the fretboard (on the ones I tried) seemed sloppy. Like not completed.
  7. UK Philip

UK Philip

i like it but it has that ill-fitting gap between the pickup and the body, and for that price i can't be putting up with that. it needs refining as a design.

if you search this forum there's a thread about it with pictures.

EDIT: primakurtz post has the link.
  8. poit57

poit57

I just got mine last week. So far I like it, but I've only had the opportunity to play it through my computer recording interface at home and through my church's PA through a SansAmp directly into the board. I will have a chance to play it through my full rig tomorrow night where I will really be able to better gauge the sound.

The factory setup on mine needs to be tweaked a little. The intonation is off just slightly, and the pickup heights need to be adjusted to make the volume levels between the pickups more even. These are not huge issues to me because I know how to make the adjustments, but I haven't made time to make the changes yet. I'll work on it this weekend.

In the few reviews I could find before I made my purchase, the only complaint I saw was regarding the finish. I didn't know what the problem was until I got mine. It's not really a problem, just a design choice by Gibson. The official product description calls it a "grain-textured nitrocellulose lacquer finish," which basically means that you can feel the texture of the grain, most evident in the curves around the edge of the body. The finish is still smooth, the surface of the guitar just isn't flat. It's hard to describe exactly what I mean. You can sort of see this effect in this picture on the upper horn where the glare from the light makes the texture visible.

[​IMG]
  9. thebassguy86

thebassguy86

I actually seen this thread, and was unsurprised by all the Gibson bashing I seen. I meant no disrespect in adding another thread, and know how we all hate that. My post got me the information I needed though, instead of sifting through the trash...

Gaolee - I've actually thought about buying a Fender for a few months now. I don't like the way a Jazz feels with left hand techniques, but I can't get over the tone they have. Then I discovered this bass! It felt like Gibson built this bass for me. It felt great in my hands. It was easy to play. Both pick-ups sounded great double-bucked and single coiled. I still can't get over this bass. I'm hoping to have the capabilities to order one next week.
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

I just saw Gov't Mule (one of my favorite bands) on Conan and the bass player was playing a black EB. It sounded absolutely great, and the song featured verses that were just drums and bass so you could hear it really well. I don't know when they will post the clip on the web page (teamcoco.com) but it should be within a couple of days.

EDIT: the video is up now. Check it out.
  11. Tbone76

Tbone76

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Be sure to give us the lowdown when you have yours in hand. Don't settle for a jazz bass if it doesn't feel right. Even if it sounds phenomenal you probably won't end up loving it. Personally, I love jazz basses, but they feel right to me. A NBD thread to read is always good. I think it's a classy looking bass, especially in the sunburst. Unfortunately, my local shops don't have one to try out. Even if traditionalists don't dig it, at least it's different than just repainting an existing bass. And if it works FOR YOU, then that's all that matters!
  12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

This is the 1st Gibson bass that has interested me and the 1st one that "seems" engineered as a bass from the get-go. I ordered a 5 string under 8.5 lbs from Sweetwater and I'll have it this weekend. I love the flexible, passive electronics and the traditional look works for me. I cannot find a similarly friendly weight in a Fender 5er without looking for ages. The few I have found had minor issues that prevented me from keeping them (dead spots etc). Can't wait to see how it plays and sounds. I'll post again after a good run at it.