1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The new "guy" in town... :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Margus Alviste, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

I took a trip to Helsinki yesterday and visited most of the music stores there. What did I discover? Well, I tried appr 15 Fender jazz and precision basses, mostly MIA but also a few MIMs. I have to say that none of them wasn't good enough to consider a purchase. Dull sound, nonresonant wood, bad fretwork, even bad tuners.
    But... Then I tried a new Ibanez ATK 800 in another store and wow... Just Wow! This instrument looks great, feels great, plays great and the most important - sounds even better! It had a light and very resonant body, low action and great neck profile. I think they use a new preamp because I found other ATKs hanging besides the 800 like children toys. They were much heavier, duller and the preamp sounded like a crap. But the 800 felt like a EUR/USD 10000 instrument. Believe me, I have a bunch of very expensive basses hanging on the wall. And this EUR700 bass made me feel I need another bass.
    So watch out - there's a new "guy" in town! :) Highly suggested!

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I have no doubt the new ATK's are great. But, I own and have owned many basses. Some had plywood bodies, while others have had various body woods. Only one bass that I have ever owned would I say that it is truly the wood (neck, fingerboard, or body I can't say) that made the bass hopeless tone-wise. I made it active, and this helped some, but I still consider it "dull and lifeless."

Yet, in your experience all but one of the basses you tried was dull and lifeless. I am not questioning your judgment, but I am curious. Clearly we have different standards.

How do you quantify "light and resonant" verses "dull and lifeless?"

3. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Thanks for your comment Wvbass! It's difficult to describe that kind of qualities, especially considering the fact that English is not my native language. It's mostly my fingers that tell me whether the qualities are there or not. :) I have also built 10-15 basses as a professional hobby, perhaps this has made me more sensitive about the wood. I also work as a sound engineer, so another reason for my picky taste I guess. But I was really disappointed in most of the instruments I tried. Only the ATK800 and the EUR 4000 custom shop Warwick felt like something considering a purchase. And I have never even liked Warwicks so far. Luckily that Warwick had too tight string spacing for my taste, so the money stayed in my pocket. :)
    I might say that some Squiers felt quite ok. Better than most of the MIAs. That was kind of strange. :)

4. rhopper

rhopper

Here we go again...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Yeah... Oh my god! It's impossible that someone had a negative experience with a Fender.

7. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Oh, I do own several great Fenders and I LOVE them! It's just that concrete assortment of Fenders in that shop. And for some reason I still believe that Fender sells better instruments in US than in other countries. Anybody has any ideas?

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

It doesn't have to be that way. He said they were all dogs, and I believe him. That does not mean that I wouldn't find a "keeper" among the ones he tried. Odds are, I would find most or all of them to be decent. I was just trying to understand. The comment about his fingers telling him is meaningful to me.

It won't be until a few of the regular flamethrowers show up that this topic derails. Some people haven't learned when to say nothing at all.

And for what it is worth, an ATK is on my "would love to own" list.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Yes sir here we go!!!!!!!!

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Was there just one 800? Do you suppose they are all consistently great, or did you just stumble on a great one?

11. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Oh folks, this thread was meant to be about the ATK! ;)

12. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Yes, there was only one 800.
    Well, it's difficult to say but it seems that Ibanez has put an extra input to that new ATK800 model. Felt like from a different galaxy compared to the older models.

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I am actually more interested in the 805, but I need to find an ATK somewhere to try. I need to feel the neck profile, string spacing, etc. and make sure it suits me. No hurry, though, I won't be buying anything for a while.

14. Herrick

Herrick

+1

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I took a trip to Helsinki yesterday and visited most of the music stores there. What did I discover? Well, I tried appr 15 Fender jazz and precision basses, mostly MIA but also a few MIMs. I have to say that none of them wasn't good enough to consider a purchase. Dull sound, nonresonant wood, bad fretwork, even bad tuners.

I would have left that part out? that statement is a gallon of gasoline and a match maybe say "I went to Helsinki and after playing a number of basses discovered an incredible bass " congrats on your find by the way.

16. richntiff

richntiff

Ibanez makes fine quality instruments in several price points. I used to own a very early Saber 540 guitar - the sweetest guitar I have ever played. Why oh why did I sell it?:crying:

17. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Good point! Will do next time! :)

18. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Should the OP have lied an said he LIKED all the Fenders? SMH...

19. AaronMB

AaronMB

Thanks for your thoughts, Margus. I've picked up that Ibanez and was impressed, too; it felt and sounded really nice. Don't worry about doing anything different next time. You did fine here and have responded as a gentleman.

We've all been to shops where even typically nice instruments (insert your fanboy preference here) have been neglected of proper QC, set up poorly, or victimized by window shoppers. It happens and we weren't there with [DEL]Margo[/DEL] Margus...

It's a shame that you can't share an experience without folks criticizing, instigating, or suggesting what to say because some others can't control themselves when choosing to respond to one person's subjective experience.

20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

maybe the better Fenders are in the US. for years i worked at a hotel in San Franciso. i have met Europeans that fly here for vacation and supplement their trip by buying a Fender or two with the intention of selling them on returning home. the preference is to find older ones with stable seasoned necks. i was told if i ever planned to visit their country, i should be able to cover the cost by bringing an older Gibson or Fender to sell. i asked why not a new one. the consensus was,.. if an old neck was still straight, it would proably stay straight. although, weather/climate is a huge factor in some regions!:)

21. SirMjac28

No sir and I see your point I just wouldn't have mentioned the fifteen Fenders I didn't think were up to par it keeps the flames down? I've been looking at that same bass and almost bought an older version from the nineties the other day I think they look and sound fantastic.