1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The new Vox Amphone, bass edition

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DeepHotBass, Mar 29, 2013.

1. DeepHotBass

DeepHotBass

Just bought this and I'm EXTREMELY delighted. It's a great concept and I can't find a flaw. Previously I was running my iphone through my amp, and using headphones from my amp to play along for practice. Unfortunately the music from my iphone went from stereo to mono by going through my amp, and also seemed degraded a bit. It made discerning the bass track much more difficult. The Vox gives me nice clean stereo from my iphone and great sound from my bass. Also I am no longer tethered to my amp when I practice. For $99 it's totally a no brainer.
  2. BassClefJean

BassClefJean

Anyone else using these?
  3. thedane

thedane

Just checked them out at the shop.
    They are nice. They sound as good as any headphone solution I've ever heard.
    If I liked playing with headphones on at all I would definitely get some of these.
    But headphones just bug me in general so I collect little tiny practice amps instead...
  4. RS

RS Supporting Member

I had a $100 amazon gift card I won at work burning a whole in my pocket, so what the hell. The Vox amplug isn't too bad for what it is, but on my basses without a top mounted jack it is a pain. Doesn't look like I'll have that same issue with these.
  5. BassClefJean

BassClefJean

How about the AC30 version? Seems a bit more versatile.

And a bit less red.
  6. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Thank you guys...I will be grabbing these.
  7. BassClefJean

BassClefJean

Give us a review!
  8. RS

RS Supporting Member

Got mine from Amazon last night and I am sending it back. The quality of the headphones and overall sound aren't very good. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I didn't feel it sounded as good as the Vox Amplug.
  9. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Too bad - I like my Amplug but ergonomically it is SUCH a PITA.
  10. RS

RS Supporting Member

Agreed. I'd probably use it more if it was better in that regard.
  11. thesearchbass98

thesearchbass98

I've had a pair for months now and couldn't be happier sound good with bass and just as normal headphones
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wish Peter Montessi would make a REDDI headphone amp ;)
  13. GrooverMcTube

GrooverMcTube

Here's my take. I bought a pair a couple of months ago so that when the wife takes over the mancave on laundry day I can still practice.

They sound surprisingly good, with a fair amount of bottom, but the louder you turn up the volume, the noisier they get. Obviously they aren't going to sound like a full stack, but if you keep them at a moderate volume they work pretty well. The compression effect seems to work but the more you turn up the effect, the more noise you introduce. The cord is really thin and seems like it could fail if you aren't careful. So, I slit a piece of silicone tubing along its length and put it over the cord then secured it with a couple of cable ties so as not to need to worry about the thin cord. The cord isn't long enough to go behind you into the jack, but in the front it is short enough that it won't catch on anything.

They are light, running off of two AAA batteries in the right earpiece and the electronics in the left side, and reasonably comfortable. They also fold flat so I can fit them in my case along with a strap, which in this case makes a complete rig. These would be ideal if you find yourself in a hotel room and need to practice but don't want to rattle the windows. Or if your wife kicks you out of the mancave so she can do laundry....

Overall, I'm pretty happy with them, here's a pic of them in the case:

Attached Files:

14. Mike in Chicago

they're ok I guess. back to sweetwater in my opinion.
  15. Mike in Chicago

I'd rather start looking for a used PF, it's got better sound
  16. BassClefJean

BassClefJean

PF?
  17. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Supporting Member

I can give you a "first look" impressions.

The sound coming from these sounds like a bass. A real bass. Not like a pretend bass, which is what I expected. And the tone adjuster makes a difference.

The big problem I'm having is the way the controls work. The control wheels have a plastic tab next to them that makes it hard for me to feel and use them. So far all my tests have been me taking off head set every time I change something. But I have some feeling loss in the fingers of my left hand, and this might be part of the problem. But so far I find the controls frustrating to use. Also, the cover to the batteries is hard to remove and replace.

I guess the bottom line is if I lost these, would I buy another pair. The answer is "yes." It is so nice to just turn these on, put them on, and start playing without wondering if my neighbors are bothered. And the other thing is, I had fun playing with these on.

I've read comments elsewhere that these are no good for using on a noisy stage. I have no way to evaluate that. I am using them in my quiet apartment, and I have more than enough volume.