The newest addition - 1983 Fender AVRI Jazz Fullerton

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PopaWoody, Dec 4, 2012.

1. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

Just added this one to the collection. Found it on CL and got it cheap. The guy selling it had it left to him from an uncle. He thought it was a late 80's Cordova.

Neck is dated 1/21/83, neck plate serial V004XXX which makes the neck an early Fullerton re-issue. However I think the body is not an AVRI, it's been refinished, and kind of poorly.

I only dropped $400 on this so having a nice AVRI neck still makes me happy.

Having it setup and new controls put in as the ones that it had on it were not original and very scratchy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

hmm, look closer;

the neck and neck plate look legit;

the pickups, knobs and bridge do not. almost looks like a real neck stuck onto a squier body.
  3. backup

backup

yes somehow the body looks odd to me. but i can only judge by more recent AVRI models maybe back then they did it like that. but still
  4. Danno1985

Danno1985 Supporting Member

I agree. Have you had it apart yet? That body just looks wrong for so many reasons. Way too shiny, holes drilled in the wrong places/lack of holes for the "ashtray", wrong control plate, wrong bridge, lack of brass grounding strip, wrong pickguard, wrong pickups, contours look too blocky, etc etc. Definitely looks more like an MIM Standard or Squier body bolted onto what could possibly be a legit AVRI neck and neck plate.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Knobs, bridge and pickguard are not Original 1983 AV parts. The pickups look wrong and you already said the pots were incorrect. I cant tell if the body is legit or not based on the photos but there is more non AV parts on the body then legit parts.
  7. Wallace320

Wallace320

And it really looks like a squier standard agathis (2009 or older)
    body

Bridge, pots and body shape and finish are actually Indonesian
    Squier.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  8. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    You need to take this apart ASAP IMO.

The neck and neck plate are the only parts that look right to me. There are so many things wrong with the body that scream mid-2000's Squier.

Sucks, but take it back if you were scammed.
  9. PopaWoody

Thanks for the input guys. You have confirmed what I had thought already, AV neck, stuck onto a older cheap body. The body was refinished at some point in its life.

I'm not too concerned with being scammed as the price I paid is pretty low. That and the guy that I bought it from had no idea what it was. IIMO the neck is worth more than the $400 I have in this. I build a frankenbass and call it a day.
  10. backup

backup

yes the AVRI necks are definitely worth more than 400
  11. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

If that's the case then it's good that you didn't get totally screwed. That's what scares me about CL. What if it was all cheapo fakeness? What would your recourse be?
  12. PopaWoody

Not a damn thing! The whole while I was checking it out, I was thinking the same thing...but the neck just felt right, and the resonance is amazing on this bass. It's loud without being plugged in. The aging amber color and the original strap button on the back of the headstock convinced me that $400 was a gamble I could take and even if the neck was the only good part.. I would be ok.
  13. Wallace320

Wallace320

A Fiesta red '82 AVRI '57 Precision, all stock and with wearing from each and every owner since then (don't talk of RoadWorn
    to me please) was priced €. 1.000,00 at a shop over here

It was bought again (and payed cash) in a week

Cheers,
    Wallace
  14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Pretty cool, though! How does it sound?

If it were mine, I'd get a new (nitro finish) body (with whatever color you want :hyper:) and maybe new PU's if you don't like how those sound.

Actually a great start to a killer project bass.
  15. PopaWoody

It sounded like bzzzzz.. There is a ground buzz, and I took to my guy. Having it setup and new controls put in. I may just go ahead and spend the $$ to get the hot rodded custom shop re-issues too.

The pups in it are cheap, no cloth wiring...just plastic insulated...I imagine this was a MIM/Squier body someone stuck an AV neck on. The neck plate dates correctly to 82-83

Was already lo_Oking into that! I think a new body is in the future too.
  16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

My old '84 Fullerton AVRI needed a neck, and I spent almost two years looking for one before I finally sold off the bass as a project. I gladly would have paid more than 400 bones to have gotten a Fullerton neck.
    Nice score man!
  17. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Fender was making 'Genuine Replacement Necks' for a number of years, although I don't think they started until after moving the plant to Corona. I have a '62 Jazz replacement neck. Identical to the AVS necks except for the decal. Retail was $479 I think. They do show up used on eBay from time to time.
  18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Yup Jim, I remember those necks. And true they were only Corona necks...I was able to find late necks pretty easily. But I was trying to keep my fullerton all-fullerton before finally giving up. I sure do miss that Jazz.