The noise! The noise!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Landy67, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Landy67

Landy67 Gold Supporting Member

Help me Mr Wizard!

My Genz Benz Streamliner has just developed a tremendous buzzing! I've tried it with both my Stingray and my Godin A4. It's a horrible noise, like a 60 cycle hum. It only makes the noise when I have something plugged in (Bass, Mandolin, Acoustic guitar, Hammer Dulcimer) I've tried two cables, Road Hog 10' and a Mogami Gold 8' and it's the same with each. If I touch a string, the bridge, the amp, or anything metal, the noise goes away.

I use this amp all day long. I work from home, and I have my MP3 player connected to the AUX in (it doesn't make the noise when I'm listening to music.) Several times a day I'll take a break, plug an instrument in and play along with a song. It's been fine all day, and it just started tonight.

What should I do? Is there another thing I can do to test? My guess is there's a bad ground in the pre-amp. I don't know what else I can do to test it. I really don't want to be without this thing, I use it 16 hours a day!

What do you recommend?
  2. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Had a similar problem with my genz. Try a little deoxIT in the effects loop. Run a patch cord in and out of the send/return a few times. Called GB and this was the suggestion I got (from Jeff Genzler no less, still floors me that he sometimes answers the phone)...seems to have worked great.
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    See if the ground prong on the power cord is broke off in the wall socket or whatever you have it plugged into.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Definitely check the grounding of the power cord, and the socket. This might be the time to get an outlet tester. Next, it's possible that the ground connection of your input jack has worked loose.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

If the noise is present only when something is plugged in, it's almost certain to be either something with the power cable/circuit or with the input source and cabling.

What happens when you plug into the master effects return?
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Have you tried it with the MP3 player disconnected?
  8. Landy67

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!!!

I checked the ground on the power cable, and then I replaced it. It didn't make a difference.
    I removed the MP3 player.
    I tried plugging the bass into the effects return.

Everything had the same buzz in the amp. Then I tried my Fernades Nomad, Mandolin, and acoustic guitar, and there wasn't any buzz.

It seems that my MM Stingray, and my Godin A4 Ultra have both developed a ground problem simultaneously. What are the chances of two top of the line basses developing a ground problem at the same time?

What should I try next?
  9. Landy67

I just tried the Stingray and Godin in my Pignose Hog amp, and the Stingray still makes the noise, but the Godin doesn't.

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the troubleshooting process.
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Try tightening the screws on the bridge. Sounds like the ground under the bridge may not be making good contact?
  11. jlepre

jlepre

Change the battery. I had the same problem with my STM-900 and it turned out that my battery in my SR5 needed replacement.
  12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    :D

Prolly so...
  13. Landy67

And we have a winner! New batteries fixed the problem.

Thanks!
  14. jlepre

jlepre

I knew it. I was actually on the phone with a tech at Genz, and he asked me when was the last time I changed my battery. I felt like such a moron LOL
  15. Landy67

And I should know not to leave the basses that have active pickups plugged in when I'm not using them.
  16. willsellout

willsellout

This was my first thought.
  17. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

This kind of thing happens all the time. In fact, over 1/2 of all "defective" amps I see turn out to have some cause unrelated to the amp itself. This is why I stress good troubleshooting efforts.
  18. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

I know how that is. I used to have a Fender "Urge" bass, and one day the bridge pup stopped working. So, I asked the tec I go to what he thought was wrong. He asked: "Have you checked the battery?"

Heh, I hadn't. It was my first bass with active electronics, and I didn't know it was active. I was really green back then.