1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Nut Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mesaphlin, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Hello everyone,

I would like to replace my bone nut with a new one but I don't know which brand to replace it with. I have seen TUSQ black nut somewhere on the net. Is that a good one? Anyone recommends that or something else? And also I have seen some luthier's websites that they use bronze or some kind of metal nut for their basses. Does it change anything radically on the sound?

Any comments and ideas are very welcomed...!!!

Thanks in advance.

:smug:

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Is there something wrong with the bone nut you have? Tusq, bone, ivory, micarta, and even graphite are all pretty much the same in terms of tonality and durability so changing from one to another makes little to no perceivable difference. Brass changes things a touch but remember it only affects the open strings. There's no "best" material and it's far more important that the nut is cut and slotted properly regardless of the material used.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Hi mesaphlin,

A bone nut is usually what people choose for the replacement when changing out the nut.

If the current nut is doing it's job, I vote for leaving it be.

All the best,

Bob

4. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

thanks everyone...!!!

:)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

What's wrong with the existing bone nut? If overly-worn, cut improperly, etc, I'd say yes, replace it if a tweak is unlikely to solve the problem. If it just looks like hell but is 100% functional, a re-polish with some fine steel wool will make it look brand new.

Riis