1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

the official 8-String (octave courses) bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hoover, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Hoover

Hoover

I can't believe one doesn't already exist (and if it does, I apologize for my stupidity, and once again curse the inelegance of the TB Search Engine). Also, I don't know whether this is really the "official" anything...but since I can't find any other evidence of an 8-string (octave courses) bass club, I hereby pronounce myself de facto founder & president for life!

(Edit: Okay, I found there is a precedent, so I concede to WarriorJoe7. See below.)

If you have an 8-string (octave courses) bass, post a pic & join the club! (PM me for your chronologically derived member #)

We're an inclusive club, so 10-string (5x2) or 12-string (6x2) basses are welcome. For that matter, triple course basses -- e.g., 12-string (4x3) -- are welcome also, but I think those guys already have their own club. Any bass with multiple courses -- groups of strings primarily intended to be struck/fretted simultaneously -- are welcome to this club.

What it's not meant to be is a club for 8-string Extended Range Instruments (i.e., F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F). I think they have their own club already too. Sorry, octave courses only.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    It's a frankenbass of sorts: Schaller bridge, EMG pickups, EMG BTC electronics, Gotoh machines, Warmoth body, & a custom-made Michael Dolan neck.

Who's next? Let's see those pics!
  2. BigRedX

BigRedX

Count me in!

[​IMG]
    Only a Carlo Robelli, but it does for the moment.

I've also got a Washburn B20 8-string in bits at the moment which is getting a massive overhaul and I'm looking at getting a custom 8-string made sometime next year...
  3. duckbutter

duckbutter

I'm in.
    Ibenez 1979 Studio 8-String. Pic to come.
  4. Hoover

Hoover

Yikes, talk about being the outcasts...

Two responses?!?!?! I know there are more than three 8-string bassists on TB. Sad...

eh, BigRedX, you're #2. duckbutter, you're #3 ...but you owe us a pic!
  5. Bassman316

Bassman316

I'll get in on this... Brice 8-string! Boo-yah!

Haven't learned how to post pics yet... I guess that'll get me my official membership? Doesn't help that I'm at work and I can't post/view pics, anyhow. Blasted censorship!
  6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

I'll roll here!:D

My recently acquired Venson 8.:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

8. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

It's worth noting that these guys can really shred your fingers if you don't play with a pick (which I don't). They also have a tendency to be top-heavy, which I guess is unavoidable.
  9. Bassman316

Bassman316

I don't really have the top-heavy problem, but they can do a number on your fingers, especially with complex or fast lines. Still love it, though!
  10. Darkstrike

A decent, grippy strap will deal with the top heaviness.
  11. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

I don't mind the top-heaviness once I start playing it, really...just a nitpick. The sound really helps to fill out the power trio that I play in, without having to really play busier.
  12. monkeyhaiku

monkeyhaiku

Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. BigRedX

BigRedX

That's a cool 8-string monkeyhaiku, who made it? and what bridge does it have?

Braver man than me to go fretless on one of those!
  14. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

So are we gonna get numbers for this stuff? I can't have prestige without some sort of arbitrarily-assigned number! :help:
  15. Bassman316

Bassman316

Yeah, numbers! I want a number! (It would be my first) :D
  16. Darkstrike

That bridge is a Schaller.
  17. GM60466

GM60466

I'm in with a Hagstrom from the '60s

G
  18. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist