The Official Bill Lawrence/Wilde Pickups Club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stumbo, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

With great sadness in our hearts, the man we know as Bill Lawrence in the music industry passed away on November 2, 2013 at approximately 9:20AM.

Bill was a strong and courageous man. Even in his last few days, Bill fought to live. He'd talk about Music, Pickups & Guitars -- and Life, and we, at his company, were still working because this is what Bill Lawrence wanted to know -- that his company & legacy is carrying on as usual.

We will miss the Bill Lawrence Mighty Force. Bill brought so much, and he wanted to stay here on earth to keep giving. One thing, yesterday as preparing the necessary paperwork, required is Designation of Race. In Honor of Bill Lawrence and his wishes, we included Human.

TB's memorial thread.

With all the interest in Bill's pickups, especially in the P-46 review thread, this club is for everyone to discuss all his pickups.

Anyone who is an owner, potential buyer or a fan, post away.

Audio, video, discussions, pics, links and looky-loos. All are welcome!

Bill Lawrence pickup user/fan website with lots of interesting info.
  2. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

3. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I want in !!!

# please...

Me with my Warmoth P-JJ ... Bill's P-46 and his design, Fender Am. Dlx. P Bass V bridge pickup. I used the pre-wired harness from Best Bass Gear, Vol + Bal + Tone
    (http://www.bestbassgear.com/bass-passive-harness.htm)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-warmoth-build-complete-931072/

I have to admit, I thought that having the A string cross over both coils would be a problem, but the pickups are so responsive to height adjustment that balancing that string was a snap....

1st recording....
    https://soundcloud.com/bassmann2000/nadine

Attached Files:

4. Marcocolo

Marcocolo

Can I get a #.
  5. Stumbo

Let's do an open club with no #'s.
  6. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Fired up my P-46 order earlier today :)
  7. rulyongo

rulyongo

Odered a P-46 yesterday for my '75 Precision...:)
  8. jmorbita

jmorbita

Great let's make this a club!
  9. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

So ive modded my squier vm p bass with a p46 , all wiring and soldering complete, but havent been able to hear it yet! Im still working with tru oil on the neck- so that is holding up the project. I am getting anxious now. Btw, the pup came in about two to three weeks for those who are waiting. Not too bad considering the price and the fact that it is a two person company!
  10. jmorbita

jmorbita

not too bad at all! congrats on the mod, post clips when you have them!
  11. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

Will do! Forgot to mention that I also did CTS pots and orange drop capacitor! Ive got high hopes in this.... :)
  12. markanini

markanini

Sign me up!
  13. DanGouge

DanGouge

Mine should be here by Wednesday! :hyper:
  14. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
  15. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

I'm so in. Here's my MIJ P that I installed a P-46 & J-45 in. Couldn't love this bass more - it's become my new #1. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381242847.997181.jpg
  16. Stumbo

Very nice!
  17. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    Thanks!
    She IS a beauty.
    Currently have er set up with TI Flats and a bag mute between the bridge and the pup. Killer 60s R'n'B sound.
  18. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Hi all- Thanks to the voluminous "Bill Lawrence P-46 Mini-Review" thread, I have found my way here, and probably saved myself tons of money by finding the BEST pickup first for my very FIRST Precision bass! I took advantage of a discount at CME on a VM Precision Amber bass (my FAVORITE combo...walnut body w/black pickguard), and it's on its way to me now.

Thanks to all the great feedback on this P46 pickup, I thought I'd better order one even before I get my new "P", because Bill Lawrence isn't getting any younger, and how would I feel if I missed a chance to own a hand-wound pickup made by a living legend?

What I'd like some advice about is the cap. I had often thought that if I ever got a "P" with just a V/T that I might consider going with a "Stellartone" or one of the other variometer variants for a tone control. Has anyone else done this? Am I wasting my time? Would I be better off just going with new CTS pots and a .1 cap? Or should I leave well enough alone, and just use the stock .47 cap?

If it makes any difference, I will be using Fender 9050CL flatwound strings. I have them on all my other single-pickup basses (vintage Peaveys, mostly), and am absolutely in love with the feel, tone, longevity and price of these strings.

So...I welcome all advice, constructive, negative, what have you. I would like to hear as many opinions as possible.

The only thing I WILL not change is the P46 pickup!

Thanks!
  19. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Okay, I'm in. Here's my Number One... ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381595818.507255.jpg

P-46 and J-45 in a Fender Hot Rod.
  20. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I ordered a P-46 to put in my '78 Fender because of this thread. I haven't decided if I want the J-45 or a Kent Armstrong lipstick pickup in the bridge yet though. Glad I saw this thread before I ordered anything from ebay and was able to get direct from Bill himself.