The Official Conrad Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zoidberg523, May 30, 2008.

1. Zoidberg523

Zoidberg523

Since there isn't one already, I hereby christen the Conrad Bass Club. Post pics of your vintage Conrad bass here! I'll be member #1, PM me for a member number! :)

Here's a couple pics of mine!
    Classic sunburst, and the bass is in EXCELLENT shape, most Conrads tend to hold up really well to time. In the second pic you can see the rare style tailpiece(they usually didn't have the Conrad name on them), and you can see the bridge that I made for it when I lost the original one with the mute.
  2. Zoidberg523

Zoidberg523

Here's a couple more pics of mine!

You might not be able to make it out(sorry for the crappy pics), but the pup covers have a design on them that I did and the pup control switch has an aged yellow die on it.

You can also see the Gibson lawsuit style headstock. :D

BTW, this is a 40080 model. Which either means that they made a VERY brief run of it(40080 was a Conrad guitar model designation) or someone took a guitar and a Conrad Viola and mixed them. Either way, she sounds great!
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Nice bass, and I like the color!

Was the Conrad a Matsumoku proejct? The mention of 'bridge with mute" makes me wonder. The Univox and other Matsu products had a flip-up mute like this (the picture is my 70's Univox):
    [​IMG]
  4. Zoidberg523

Zoidberg523

Yep, thats the kind of mute my old bridge had. Would you happen to know where I could find a replacement? Your Univox looks exactly like my Conrad, but with that selector switch plate. Id your a 335 type, or a double cutaway? I cant tell from the pic. :p
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Anyone remember the Conrad Dan Armstrong see-thru copies? They were pretty close to the actual Armstrongs as I recall. When I was 13 I played guitar in a band with a guy who had one, and in the 70's there was a bassist at Disney World who had one as well. I thought they were really cool but they weighed a ton.
  7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

I don't have a picture but my first bass was a Conrad Hofner copy beatle bass in 1967.It was good to learn on,bought it from a friend for $75.Not too bad a bass from what I remember.
  8. TonyFranklinFan

TonyFranklinFan

How about this Conrad that I just aquired...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Daddy likey!
  10. TonyFranklinFan

TonyFranklinFan

Jimmy and Zoid check these out...
    The rear pickup wasn't working all that hot, so {don't shoot me} I added a Carvin dual-coil HB4 to the bridge as well as new pots and Strat-like knobs to him.Also in the works a cooler switch and ashtray bridge cover if anyone has one. It punches through walls now.I may in the future have another HB4 added to the neck..great stuff!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :bassist:
  11. Zoidberg523

Zoidberg523

Normally I wouldn't agree with putting new pups in a vintage bass, but I love this one. Great choice on the Carvin! Like the knobs too :smug:
  12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

This is a photo of a Conrad (Aria) 1420B that I owned. I had the matching 6 string guitar as well. Got a great offer from someone a couple of years ago for both of them, so off they went.

TD

[​IMG]
  13. kjpollo

kjpollo

Hmmm...looking at the pickups on Pilgrim's bass brought back memories. Thats the EXACT pickup I remember on my first bass which was a P-Bass copy except for the pickup.

I always thought my first bass was a Memphis-can anyone tell me if Memphis was a Matsumoku brand?
  14. countshockula

countshockula

my new purchase:

Attached Files:

15. almix12

almix12

um bump! if anyone has any more i'd love to see them, they're such great basses
  16. countshockula

countshockula

so can i add a Conrad club # to my sig?
  17. Hitpicker

Hitpicker

CONRAD VINTAGE BASS ALERT ON EBAY NOV 23RD !!!!!!!!
  18. toma0022

toma0022

Picked this up from a relative.
    Needs a little work. Get back to you later.

Attached Files:

19. medicsman

medicsman

Hello, I was directed here to seek assistance identifying my Conrad I inherited from my Father. I originally posted to guitarforum.net and they've helped me somewhat.

Mine is an electric guitar with original case NOT a bass. Its a 6 string with one popped string.

Here is a pic of my guitar then I'll put a link to my picturetrail album, then finally a link to my original post to guitarforums (I hate repeating myself lol is all)...

I am in love with this guitar and don't want to sell it but wouldn't mind knowing about its worth. It has the earmarks of being high quality (three fused wood pieces on the neck), wonderful tone, etc).

I certainly appreciate any responses I may get and want to thank you in advance for your help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picturetrail with all pics:
    http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid21290634

Original link to other forum:
    http://guitarforum.net/guitarist/index.php/topic,6485.0.html

I always check back every evening and look forward to any of your comments...
  20. Zoidberg523

Zoidberg523

That sure is a beauty. I've never seen a Conrad Violin guitar. Looks nice. If it's in really good condition, with original case, I'd say your look at being between $250 and $500 in worth. Though, I am no expert.

EDIT: A little info: Conrad was a marketing name (one of many) used by the Matsumoku company in the 1970's and 80's. Other names used by this company include (but certainly are not limited to) Ibanez, Vox, Univox, and Aria. They are, for the most part, well built, and hold up well to years of playing. Due to their distributing policies, not much is known about many of these instruments. Sometimes you'll see a guitar or bass that looks just like yours, but with a different name, or a different tailpiece (VERY common). Generally though, most seem to have the same pickups (or at least the same styles: basses are chromed plastic humbuckers with chrome poles, with a black ring around the pickup; guitars are raised white plastic soapbars with black poles and black rings around the pickups), tuning gears, and three piece neck. Sunburst is their most common color, and the violin bass is most common, whereas with guitars, the most common body style seems to be the Gibson ES-335 type.

Hope this helps.
  21. beatlesguitar

beatlesguitar

Medicsman,

I have a guitar exactly like the one you show here and I have been trying to find more information about it. If you have any more info that you can share, like how much it is worth, please let me know. Thanks!