1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

The Official Gallien Krueger 400RB picture thread/fanclub

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Jul 14, 2009.

1. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Everyone who has one raves about it, including myself. No numbers, just post pictures of yours, tell stories, whatever. Heres mine, I went all the way and took the rack ears off. Its such a small lightweight amp its way easier this way, for transportation i throw it in a padded pedalboard case i had laying around:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ransombass

ransombass

A buddy of mine has had one of these since the '80s. I've had umpteen different amps over the years and he still gigs with his 400rb. He's never had any problems with it as far as I know. I'm thinking about hunting one up for a back up.

3. Rshafer

Rshafer Supporting Member

4. Govier966

Govier966

i have a 400rb, borrowed from my uncle actually. it was his backup amp. it cuts over 2 fender combo amps and a loud drummer. clips at my drummers house though kuz of the old electronics. played it with a power conditioner and it was much better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

I just picked this up two weeks ago..love it
    powerful for its rating with two 15's, need to
    find some ears for her..

Attached Files:

7. barroso

barroso

Here's an artistic, still life composition of mine.

'87 GK400.

best amp ever had

Attached Files:

8. tilehilder

tilehilder Supporting Member

this might be the best picture on talkbass

9. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

I own a beat to hell one from '85 according to the s/n; still sounds great. I posted a pic of it in another one of these threads but since got rid of the pic... great heads...

10. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

I used mine at a bar gig last week for the heck of it. Played through a diesel 2x15 and it was almost loud enough. We're pretty loud and do some stuff where I need it clean so I guess it wasn't quite enough. Still it really sounded good for 95% of the night when a little grit was good. It'll continue to be my backup/small gig/rehearsal head.

11. Greevus

Greevus

Don't have pics, but I played one identical to the pic (stickers too!) for 20 years, until I caught it on fire. Played another identical to it briefly and fried it too. I have another 400RBIII that I used briefly, but still own. I miss the old ones! So count me in the club. Still my fave amp of all time. Still use an 800RB and just ordered a MB2-500. GK rocks.

12. jhines77

jhines77

I have been looking to get a new head. I've been trying all the new "high tech" amps and doing research on the ones that aren't available to try. Nothing sounded like the old 400RB I had back in the early 90's. So yesterday I saw an old school 400RB on Ebay for $225 "buy it now". I may be crazy, but I snapped it up. Now I have money left over to buy other toys and I will probably have better tone.

John

13. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ Supporting Member

I'm going to revive this thread because of my recent purchase. I just picked up this 400rb for $100. I really thought that 200watts was not going to be enough but dang this thing roars! Also it seems like the boost knob is always turned on and I don't have a footswitch to turn it off so I can get more volume by turning up my boost knob along with the master knob. I leave my EQ knobs flat with the 'mid contour' knob engaged. I love what 'mid contour' does to my tone. Does anyone know what this does to the EQ?
    [​IMG]

14. Vanni

Vanni

this is my 400RB:bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

This is a cool club!!! I'm a huge fan of the original 400rb. Don't have one currently (I've owned 3) but wish all of y'all the best of luck with your 400rb heads!

16. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I've owned two in my lifetime and play through one sometimes in a rented practice space. Great amps. I'm thinking of getting it's big brother the 800rb to backup my mesa400+...

17. Sifl

Sifl

I just traded my Sansamp for a 400rb. I play it through an Ampeg 810 and I absolutely love it. First head I ever used where I was completely satisfied as soon as I started playing. It is so loud. I initially got it as a back up for my LMII, but it's going to be my main amp from now on! I can't believe that 200 watts can be loud enough!

18. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ Supporting Member

So true. I also thought 200 watts was not going to be enough but g'damn and yes the 400rb slays through an 8x10. :bassist:

19. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Only the first watt counts!!!! I will post a pic after my next band practice.

20. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

I've been rocking my 400rb in a padded rack bag for a while now. I really like having the zipper pocket to keep spare cables, fuses, etc in. That way they're right there at my disposal if needed.

[​IMG]

21. Richard G

Richard G

i have owned my GK for probably 15 plus years my second bass head ever, before that was a peavey bass head 2 channel with graphic eq...i really dig my gk400rb the thing bumps and punches you can find them used and cheap worth investing, a sound i keep going back to. I have been using my markbass little mark bass head and i keep going back to my 400rb for that GK tone.