The Official Kudela Custom Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ivlucas, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ivlucas

ivlucas Supporting Member

After 2 years, I finally got one. I have owned every bass from, Smiths, MTDs, Tobias, Alembic, Zon,....ect.... I must say this bass is my favorite out of everybass I have owned and deserves a club. As Club member #1
    My bass is the 6 string single cut design serial #001
    Walnut/Maple/Purpleheart/Bubinga body
    Macassar Ebony Fretboard
    Swamp Ash Body Wings
    Bigleaf Maple Burl Top
    Bartolini pickups with 5.4 circuit
    Hipshot hardware
    Scale 34"
    18mm 3/4 String spacing
    Sodalite Stone Kudela inlay

TONE!!!!!!!! The closest comparision I have is my old MTD 635 but this bass is extremely more articulate yet organic by that I mean, its not a Modulus or Zon articulate but rather tone derived from the woods used. Although I sold 2 Ken Smith basses to purchase this bass I have not regretted it one moment.

[​IMG]

elkkid2 likes this.
  2. climb

climb

Congratulations--you're making me extremely curious about this bass. What's so great about it in particular? If you have the chance to post some more photos and/or soundclips, that would be awesome.

Enjoy; it's a beautiful bass!

3. slofut

slofut

This is my custom 11:28 fretless 4. I've had an early toby custom 6 built in MT's home shop, Ricks, Fenders, played a quite a few steinbergers, alembics, and a pedulla, and still have an 82? K/Spector since new (it's killer). They all pale in comparison to my Kudela. Never thought I'd give up my NS2 but I've barely picked it up since I got the Kudela a year ago. It's like I've never been without it.

[​IMG]

I fixed the picture link for you, cause I really wanted to see this. Beautiful!

-Mark Wilson

ivlucas and elkkid2 like this.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq

Thread bump -- I'd sure love to play and hear one of these.

I like the style/design of the regular 11:28 (as well as the SC).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ivlucas

Lo-freq....Once you play one, you have to have one so be careful trying it out, you may just pull the trigger and get one.

7. climb

climb

anybody got sound clips? Particularly interested in hearing that coated fretless!

Sweet looking instruments...

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Link, since it was woefully missing in previous posts ;) :
    http://www.kudelabass.com/

[​IMG]

They aren't my cup of tea looks-wise, but if they play that fantastically then I'll keep an open mind and hope to try one out sometime.

9. ivlucas

Great news...... A bolt on line is on the way.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq

Cool!

As to the post above regarding the looks, maybe IV could post of pick of himself holding or playing the bass.

We're so used to the generic form factors of most basses, but often seeing one being played one realizes that it looks just fine or maybe even more attractive that originally thought.

11. ivlucas

pic from church

Attached Files:

12. lo-freq

lo-freq

Cool -- thanks!

Yeah, I'm liking that SC better the more I look at it.

13. ivlucas

Go for it, I believe Jim at Atlanta Bass Gallery has a couple forsale as we speak

14. climb

climb

just picked up an 11:28 fretless 4; beautiful bass!

I was expecting this bass to be great based on comments here, but it's actually better than I was hoping for. Great tone, playability and looks.

ivlucas likes this.
  15. lo-freq

lo-freq

We need pix!

...please... :)

16. climb

climb

Ok, I've spent some more time with my 11:28 fretless 4 and here are my thoughts.

The craftsmanship is really fantastic. Some things I particularly appreciate--the curved/beveled edge of the fingerboard near the neck pickup. Really elegant looking. The fingerboard itself is a thick slab of gaboon ebony, and it feels great under the fingers. Looks awesome as well. I also appreciate the body contour on the backside of the bass, which is also beveled inwards, creating a really striking, comfortable effect. I would say that the bass is aesthetically quite beautiful. The body shape of the 11:28 is sleek and streamlined; it's a work of art that turns heads immediately. (It doesn't hurt that it has a neck of walnut/maple/purpleheart, and walnut core with padauk facings!) If I had to criticize the bass at all, it would be on really silly things only--I wish the headstock were slightly larger (aesthetically, not in terms of balance) and I'm not crazy about the 'K' logo design.

As ivlucas writes, my Kudela has just awesome tone. Really needs no EQ or effects of any kind. With everything set perfectly flat (amp as well), the tone is pure fretless mwah. Very expressive; really sings. I have roundwounds on it, which emphasize the expressive nature of this instrument. I have played/owned many of the great fretless basses, as my profile shows. I got rid of all of them once I had my Fodera Imperial fretless 5. This Kudela rivals or beats all of them, and it made me have the crazy thought of selling my Fodera (until I realized that I should have both a 4 and 5 fretless...) Although Kudela basses are not well-known, I believe it's a matter of time, as this one is just too good. When I do mess with the EQ, it's natural/musical throughout the entire range. Nothing unusable or unnecessary here. The Bartolinis are a great match for the bass, which sounds organic, woody and plaintive.

Lastly, I've spent some time speaking to Steve on the phone, and he's as sincere, straightforward a guy as you could hope for. I have no doubt that he would do whatever possible to make the bass of your dreams, and I for one hope to spread the word on how great these basses are.

ivlucas likes this.
  17. ivlucas

Any more Kudelas out there???

18. ivlucas

Considering another........hmmmmm

19. climb

climb

20. ivlucas

Someone better grab that Kudela off the evilbay!!!

21. ivlucas

Hey guys, I saw some of the Bolt on models over the holidays, cant wait till they are completed.