1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Seriously. This is likely the last bass I buy for a LONG time. It fits me perfectly, sounds exactly the way I want, feels great, and looks great.

Shortscale Stambaugh

[​IMG]
  3. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

It looks purdy.
  4. Ayce

Ayce

Sub'd for future reference.
    Yep, that's one right purdy bass there. :D
  5. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

First Page!

Cheap 'n Short:
    [​IMG]

-Modded Bronco
    -Gretsch G2202
    -SX ss Jaguar
  6. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

Awesome! But I'd be afraid of carrying around a $2k+ bass :eek: . My Cort has a similar look at 1/10 the price:

[​IMG]
  7. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

New thread, old picture. Still my favorite bass.

[​IMG]
  8. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

The Stambaugh is a beaut. If that Cort sounds anywhere near as good as it looks, it's a winner. However, I'm posting to subscribe.
  9. whyseye

whyseye

I had the black version of that Cort - it was a sweet little bass.
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

I hear you. My first few gigs with it, I was a bit freaked, but now that its seen many, many gigs and has a bit of mojo... not so much.

I have a $169 Squire short Jag that I can use for really dumpy places or bad weather.

May as well put a pic of that up too!

[​IMG]
  11. ::::BASSIST::::

A real beauty! How much?
  12. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Yep. This short scale Lakland Decade is one of my favorite photos posted in this forum. Gonna go play one next time I'm in Chicago.
  13. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Lets keep this Club going! Since its inception, we have 319 Official Short Scale Bass Club members -- 2005 posts and 179,227 page views. Fender has started making short scale basses again. Gibson reissued its EB/SG bass and even made a Thunderbird shortie. Lakland, Stambaugh, Birdsong, Alleva, Guild, Reverend and even Warmoth -- all offer short scale options.

Word is out... short scales are not just "starter" basses or basses for women and kids. Can't help but think that threads like this have something to do with that change in perception.;)

Any bass manufacturer that sees 179,227 page views on a short scale bass thread has to know that there is a market for these basses. Lets keep them on their toes and see what offerings they give us between now and Part IV of this thread!

Thanks everyone. Keep posting your shorties!
  14. spcjdoty

spcjdoty

I have been playing for about a year. Originally I had an Ibanez Jumpstart GSR190. My bass teacher suggested I go to a short scale (small hands). I bought my first short scale about a month ago. It is a Squier VM Jaguar Short scale.

I love it.
    I put GHS Stainless flatwounds. The sound is phenomenal thru my Peavey Max 110 practice amp

Attached Files:

15. ::::BASSIST::::

I have the same bass, strung with the same strings. Definitely a great combination!
  16. spcjdoty

spcjdoty

I love the feel and the sound
  17. T-34

T-34

18. tabdog

tabdog

I'm not a beginner.

I'm not a child.

I have big hands.

My SS fits me just fine.

My SS sounds wonderful.

I would not believe it until I tried it.

Us "know it all's" miss out on some good stuff
    sometimes. I'm glad I found out before I hit 70,

Tabdog
  19. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

To Bassplayer95

"Someone tell me why I should buy a short scale? I'm thinking strongly about it 'cause I'm pretty small (well, average for a girl) and my fingers/hands are small. My biggest problem is stretching my fingers between frets. Will a SS take care of that?

Also have small, short hands. That's why I only have SS basses. Much easier for me to play. Also with arthritis being genetic, don't have the ability to stretch the fingers like I did when I was young.

You can get all the tone out of a SS that you can get from a med, standard or long scale. Might not be true for basses using more than 4 or 5 strings, but there are some 5 and 6 string shorties out there. Not real sure about the availability of left handed SS basses though.
  20. outonfoot

outonfoot

Dear bassplayer95

I say go for it, I have small hands and to make matters worse I broke the knuckle of my little finger on my left hand which left me with reduced movement in my pinky, as a result of this I found getting around the frets really hard work, in a last ditch attempt to carry on playing I got a short scale, best thing I ever did! It's awesome and really got the bug again.

On a separate note all together merry Christmas and a happy new year to all shorties out there!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.