1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Official Skjold Club (Part 11)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 1, 2013.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

2. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet? Supporting Member

YAY! First in the thread. :D

Old pic but I usually have a grin when I have Skjold in my hands:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
  4. Mark Sacchetti

Mark Sacchetti Gold Supporting Member

5. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

6. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Much love for my Skjold. Bought it in 2008, it was love at first bite.

Attached Files:

7. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

I think our basses came from the same lot.
  8. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

In... My first Skjold - back in 2005. Many have followed, each an fantastic instrument.

[​IMG]

Current Skjold beast:

[​IMG]
  9. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

10. Pako

@Vic: I never get tired seeing pics of your bass!

@Virgil: Yes, I think so to Virgil. I remember your bass. :)

@BIGREDSIX: That sunburst is HAWT! What is the little mini ramp or pick guard on your current bass?

@Mark: That must be a tone behemoth! Is that a ramp/pickup cover or do you have something extra special under there?

@Paul: Diggin the wood grain on that one! How do you like the Aggie/CN212 combo? (assuming it's a CN212)

[this post got lost in the mix]
    Pete, I have to tell you man. I had my first gig with the new bass running through the Berg IP rig. It totally KILLED man! I can give you all the textured adjectives like punchy, wooly, articulate, growly, focused, but I will refrain from all that and just tell you that it was totally awesome man! Throwing on some chorus for those slower melodic passages was just over the top! The compliments were flowing and I found new chops and runs that I've never played before. My favorite tone was with a slight boost to the lows, highs were flat, and a decent amount of low-mid, mid boost and rotating the selector switch between the two middle settings. Preamp was set flat. My coolest discovery was I found that I could over-drive the preamp for that nice tube saturation. The mid-boost was like my own tube overdrive control. I also like that it has a completely different voice than my CS5 but still has that Skjold tone.

:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:
  11. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

I believe it was intended to be a "slap guard". It was only attached with two sided tape and I don't slap that much or often, so it is off now.
  12. pauliebass

@ pako

Thanks, Pete went for a faux neck thru on this one. Lovin the limba on limba and the ziricote! It's not light, but this bass has my dream tone. I don't mess with the pre at all really. This bass is so responsive, I do it all with my hands and pickup placement. The bridge pup is moved up toward the neck a little bit more than his normal position. 16.5 spacing, I don't like wide 6ers.

As for the CN212 and the Aggie... It doesn't get any better IMO.
  13. Pako

Neck thru? Didn't know Pete did neck thru's! Do you have any sound clips floating around here? I would love to hear it!

And to keep the pics coming, here's a close up of my CS5 and the fine laser work on the 2nd octave inlay:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks! :)

I never get tired of playing it, either... I'm sure you know what I mean. :)

At this point in time, I believe it's the one bass I have the most accumulated miles on. I've had a couple other basses longer, but haven't played them as much. I have a couple other basses I play the hell out of, but haven't had as long as the Skjold.

Point being, with my rate of "exploration" with instruments, that says a helluva lot about Pete's work... and keep in mind, mine is several "generations" ago at this point too. :)
  15. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Subscribing! Here's my Skjold collection...can I join?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Here's my DE Whaleback 5 string!

[​IMG]
  17. pauliebass

I meant that it was built to kinda look like a neck thru. I owe Pete a video review of this bass. I'll post it when I get it done.
  18. Pako

Ohhhhhhhh. I was gonna say. :)

Be sure to post up the review when you get er done. ;)
  19. Pako

Daily thought: I had forgotten how low you can set the action on these Skjolds. When I received my fretless recently, I was reminded how low it could go! In looking at the CS5, I had raised the action to reduce fret noise when I had to drop tune for the geetard player at the time. Now that I am back to 440 tuning and put new strings on it, I was able to drop it back down without any string/fret noise. Seems like a "duh" moment on my part, but sometimes it's the smallest things that get over looked. I found that getting a monster slap tone on my CS5 is effortless now. Much better IMO.
  20. Mark Sacchetti

Mark Sacchetti Gold Supporting Member

I was talking to Pete and was bugging him for pictures. So he sent me a couple to sate my appetite! I asked permission to share it with my fellow TBers and got his blessing to do so !
    He's got allot of new things in the works in the shop!
    Maybe we can get him to tell us about what's coming.
    Here's a couple of pictures!
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386693088.281219.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386693101.497805.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386693112.946775.jpg