The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

?

Which model of Sterling by Music Man basses do you like best?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2011.
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11

Alright, so, I searched the threads and found the Sterling owners club, but, nothing for those of us that happen to own a Sterling by Music Man!:bassist:

This is open, for now anyway, to ALL models of Sterling by Music Man basses including the Ray 34/35, Sb14 and Ray 34ca!

Only catch is, you gotta show your ax, and let everyone else drool at it's sheer awesomeness! Modded basses are encouraged as well!

I'll start......"say hello to my lil' friend!"

Taken the day I got it!

ray34camg1.jpg

ray34camg5.jpg

Member Listing (updated as often as possible):

1. DaymonJ11 - Mint Green Ray34ca - 2/28/11
    2. Tsunami1052 - Sunburst Ray34 - 2/28/11
    3. LuvMusic - Electric Blue SB14 - 2/28/11
    4. JohnD@508 - Silverburst Ray34 - 2/28/11
  2. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk? Supporting Member

3. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Here's my SB14. Though GAS my drive me to checkout one of the CA's.

[​IMG]
  4. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11

Sick basses guys!!! Really like that Electric Blue!

1. DaymonJ11 - Mint Green Ray34ca
    2. Tsunami1052 - Sunburst Ray34
    3. LuvMusic - Electric Blue SB14
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. John D@508

John D@508

I'll play...not really a club kinda guy but SBMM need some credit. Heres Ray34 on the right. Not my pic actually because I only have a camera phone. I got it from Basswave and couldnt be happier.(For now)

[​IMG]
  7. tomersg

tomersg

what the ca stands for? and how you like does basses? are they comparable to the USA musicmans?
  8. kjpollo

kjpollo

Dang! I'm really hoping to get a Ray34 CA in 3TS...just gotta raise more cash.
  9. John D@508

John D@508

CA stands for Classic Active...
  10. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

This is a club I will be a member of in the future.

Just waiting for the right deal on a natural or honeyburst Ray35. :)
  11. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11

The updated list is in the original post!
  12. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11

As an owner of the 34ca, and a EBMM Stingray Classic, I can tell you the 34ca is basically identical to the Stinger Classic. Tone, feel and look. I am really impressed by the flexibility that this bass provides.

The biggest difference is the fretboard, it's not as clean as a EBMM Classic, but honestly, for that price it would be hard for them to do. The bridge is a lot different, but nothing too major, it looks like the regular Stingray's. The neck radius is different, and the weight.

All that said though, it's still a kick ass bass, and honestly, one would be hard pressed to find a better bass for that $650-700 range.

If it were USA made, this thing would cost $1000, easily. And, it absolutely blows the SDGR Ibanez basses, Squier's, G&L Tribute's the foreign Lackland's and the Mexican Fenders out of the water. It's not even close.

So, buy that thing with confidence, because I'm pretty sure it'll be one of your favorite basses in your arsenal!
  13. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

I;m glad your diggin it brother...But i've owned 4 Laklands, 2 US and 2 Skylines, and I'd be hard pressed to say a sterling by MM is better than a Lakie Skyline. The fingerboard on the SB14 I owned was soo dry when I got it, it was a very poor piece of rosewood. The Skylines are made of Ash/Alder and much higher end rosewood and maple boards. have heavy string thru bridges and the US electronics. They cost double that of a Sterling by MM, because they are made of much more expensive material. ironically, a used Lakie 55-02 can be had in the $700-800, and will give you a stingray sound, and a jazz bass sound. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED my SB14...but the quality of the two is far separate. Hope I didn't offend anyone. I love the SB14 too.
  14. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11

Having owned a couple (1US and 1Skyline) Lackland myself, I can admit they're nice basses. No doubt about it. But, the 2011 SBMM basses are much nicer in fit and finish, and very easily are as good as a Skyline, materials used aside. Actually, I think the fact that they're as nice as they are considering what they do use, it's a testament to the bass itself.

The SBMM's from last year weren't quite as nicely finished as they are this year. The differences from 2010 to 11' are great, and if you pick one up, you'll be able to feel it almost immediately.

I actually played, at my local Music Go Round, a Skyline 4 next to my new Ray34ca, and it was right there with it. If the Lack was better, it wasn't by much.

Bottom line I guess is that everyone has their specific tastes, and that's a good thing. Objectively speaking though, I'll tell you the new Ray34's are super nice basses, and hold their own against anything in that price range and often times in ranges above that.
  15. caesarbass

caesarbass Supporting Member

Hey guys!! These basses are awesome!! I just got a couple, Ray 35 and 34ca, to demo and review for my website TheBassHang.com. These basses are incredible!! The Ray 35 is really versatile, especially for a one pick up instrument, the pre amp is killer!! I posted some quick soundclips on the music player on the website, and a full blown video review on both basses is in the works!!! Also, I will post pics asap!! I'm using the Ray 35 on my gigs this weekend, direct with no amp, using in ear monitors, and it's seriously sounding incredible.
    Thanks guys!!
  16. caesarbass

Here's a pic of both basses and a pic of the Ray 35 with my recording set up, DNA 210, Aguilar DB750, MXL V67 mic, straight into my computer.

Attached Files:

17. rayzak

rayzak

I finally got to play one of these, and was very impressed with it. It was the Ray34. A touch on the heavy side, but hey, it is a Stingray. And the higher registers could use a fret dressing... sharp edges. But hey, that happens with any bass. My Sadowsky Metro I had had some very sharp frets when I got it. Had 'em filed and never was an issue again. The finish was fantastic.... honeyburst. All in all, very nice.

My son has a Lakland 44-02 and I would say it's all preference as to which fits YOU better. Both fantastic, but you gotta love the SBMM basses. I think the Lakland 44-01/02 series are a much more fair comparison, as they are in the same price range.
  18. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11

Updated listing, as of 3/6/11!

1. DaymonJ11 - Mint Green Ray34ca - 2/28/11
    2. Tsunami1052 - Sunburst Ray34 - 2/28/11
    3. LuvMusic - Electric Blue SB14 - 2/28/11
    4. JohnD@508 - Silverburst Ray34 - 2/28/11
    5. caesarbass - Natural Ray35 & Mint Green Ray34ca - 3/6/11
  19. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11

Checked out the audio clip, sounded great man! I've been thoroughly impressed by this bass, and for the money, it's tough to beat! Welcome to the club my man!
  20. caesarbass

Thanks Daymon!!! I am working on a full blown video review too!!! The Ray 35 and the 34ca are great basses!! The 35 was killer on my gigs this weekend!! Appreciate you starting this thread and really appreciate you checking out the clips on my site!!!
    :D
  21. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11

No problem man! I'll be checking back there regularly to see your video review of these basses! Thanks for coming by man, I appreciate it!