1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Official Variax Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mjac28, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I did a search and asked a half dozen people who own or have owned a Variax bass if there was a club? and I've reached the conclusion that there wasn't one. I would like to start a club to celebrate the Variax bass my bass finally arrived Monday and all I can say is WoW!! I love this bass fit and finish are great I got it from a producer who used it just to lay down bass tracks.I love the many sounds of this bass and because I only own a few of the modeled basses I don't have any bias to what the sounds are actually trying to replicate. I have only run the bass thru my amp without any effects to get a feel for the sounds and they are all nice only the synth sounds are a little cheesy but I don't need those. I love the ability to use the blend knob which really makes a difference in the tone the only thing I might change is to get some fresh strings I was told they originally come with D'Addario EXL170's which are inexpensive so folks show your basses and lets get this started I would recommend to everyone else if you have a chance to grab one of these basses grab one.

Because I'm a new owner I will leave the lower numbers to the folks who already have them. I will keep track of all future numbers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Must See Demo !!!

Official Variax Bass Club Members List

#1 F-Clef-Jef
    #2 Mjac28
    #3 Stephent28
    #4 Cutty

#5 Flatwound
    #6 Szybas
    #7 Millertx
    #8 Yodedude2
    #9 Flyingwalrus
    #10 Mongo2
  2. mjac28

Don't be shy I can't be the only one :)
  3. mjac28

No love for the Variax if you join the club there will be free ice cream
  4. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

I love my Variax bass! And my Variax guitar! And my Pod XTLive!

Gimme a number! And a scoop of butter-pecan in a waffle cone...
  5. mjac28

Ok sir you are number 1 I'll take number 2 thought there would be more interest have you changed strings ?
  6. mjac28

I love this thing really has a great sound I'm glad they didn't go with some composite material and make it toy like nice alder body and I love the neck
  7. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

I just traded in my Variax bass along with a few other items for a Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 about two months ago but I owned it from the day they were released.

They are really cool basses and are really comfortable to play. The main reason I sold it was because I effectively owned all of the basses that it replicated (or a very close approximation),

I was amazed at how close the Variax modeling was to the real thing.
    I could never understand why they stopped making them.

ENJOY!
  8. mjac28

Would you still like a number sir I'm sure you can be of fret value to everyone that has or wants one Number three is calling your name
  9. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

I don't have one (didn't even know Variax ever offered a bass), but for the McCartney fans in the room, out of curiosity, how well does it cop Hofner & Ric tones?
  10. mjac28

I have a Hofner and that hollow body tone is hard to replicate it sounds good to me and the bass has round wound strings I've heard from Ric owners that the sound is pretty close the best way to evaluate the bass is to throw out the notion that it's trying to duplicate and enjoy the sounds you will be amazed
  11. Stephent28

damn good. The Ric tone was close enough that in a mix you would not typically know the difference. I thought the Hofner model was a bit livelier than the McCartney tone (not as dead thump sounding) but again, it was pretty damn close.

I was very very impressed by the modeling that they did on the bass.
  12. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I had one for a couple years - sold it in the classifieds here on TB
    Some of the models were quite convincing, others not so much. I have a pod XT-Live but never used them together for some reason. I understand that's where they really shine.
    I do like the sunburst finish. Mine was black, btw.

[​IMG]
  13. mjac28

14. Stephent28

doesn't matter because it is a modeled sound. The modeled basses that are portrayed with flats will have that characteristic thump that flats have (regardless of the strings on the Variax).
  15. mjac28

Nice Jim I liked the black also but jumped on the sunburst I wanted one bad Jim you are welcome sir the club is for former current and future owners of this wonderful bass
  16. mjac28

Cool I wondered about that I've read mixed reviews on if string changes made a diffrence ? The stock strings are inexpensive I think I will grab a set tomorrow
  17. Cutty

Cutty

I love my Variax 700,used it recently in the studio and it really sounded great in the "58"P bass position,i did change the strings to D'darrio pro steels,but went back the the original D'darrios that came with it as i found it sounded more authentic with these fitted,i use it live also and it's really good.
    Variax Club Member "4"
  18. mjac28

Great thank you Cutty I'm going to stick with the D'Addario EXL170's I found some for $24.00 for two sets.
  19. El-Bob

El-Bob

Did they ever make a 5 string version of this?
  20. mjac28

Yes sir they did man this bass is really nice