The old guy - doesn't understand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davesound, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Hi

I don't think this has ever happen to me before.I have a new Warwick Rock Bass short Scale, four strings, great Bass.! I had RoroSound Jazz 77 strings put on it.They sounded great.The string tension is to much for my old hand.So I purchased a set of Thomastik -infield strings almost the same gauge strings,etc. ,Flates etc.Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me but the D and G strings don't sound in Tune with the other strings.The Tuner says they are right on.I don't like the sound of the TI's and have a set of Labella strings arriving tomorrow.I don't understand how the D and G strings sound so off to me.

Thanks

Dave

2. shaft311

shaft311

Open, they sound off? Or when fretted?

If when fretted, adjust intonation.

I don't know.. can you post a sound clip?

Make sure the pickups are set at even heights, and make sure the strings are at their proper heights matching the radius of the fretboard.. Different volumes to improper string/pickup setup can cause weird things to your ears...

3. phephron

phephron Supporting Member

Dave,
    I don't know if I'll help, I don't have the skills of most of the players on this forum, but I've changed strings before, and had all sorts of overtones, like the strings just had a particular relation to the guitar, and some of the overtones created a situation like you described - bass sounds out of tune, but tuner says its spot on. Even had my band leader who is a pro wonder what's going on, I played with the tone knobs a bit, and it went away. Good luck with it.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    This is a good place to start. The flats have different tension. The neck relief has changed, changing intonation as the fingerboard curve changes. :ninja:

This the season, too...:bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Davesound

Davesound

Hi

Took it to the local music store.He reset it up for me.Now it sounds great! TI strings sound great.
    Thanks for your help.You were all correct.

Dave

7. shaft311

shaft311

Glad it's fixed you old fart.

8. Mugre

Mugre

The other thing that the set-up guy might have done is set the witness point at the bridge. The E on my Jag SS sounded for fizzle until I learned to give it a push between the bridge and the tail piece. When the string doesn't break over correctly it creates false beats in the string. There are lots of posts about it here on FB

9. msb

msb

Also bear in mind that TI flats take a little time to wear in . They sound much better after they've been played for a while .