The old guy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davesound, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Hi

Not sure were to put this.Within our bands set list we have gotten to a point that I would like to change my bass sound from a 50's sound to a different sound.Maybe one much briter so the bass comes out more.I have a Fender Squier ss bass that has flats and gives me my 50's sound.I just purchased an Ibanez Miko short Scale bass with GHS pressurewound strings for A brighter sound,I hope! I only have a few seconds between songs.What's my best way to change sound?Change Bass's.Use some kind of Effects.Just change tone on the Bass? Or pickups? Never done this before.The last time I played in a Rock Dance band ,there was only the 50's sound.Because that was in the 50's.I'm 70 and this is all new to me and a difficult problem.

Thanks

Davesound

2. Lublin

Lublin Supporting Member

Throw some D'Addario Chromes flats on your P Bass and just make tonal changes with your tone knob.

Tone backed off = Motown sound
    Tone full on = brighter, modern sound

3. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

A vintage gent!
    Welcome, dear sir.

Now, have you tried the Ibanez? You need to have a go at it yourself and find the sound you want. Turning up the tone controls, but pickups and strings do make a difference in sound.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Either one bass with an active preamp that allows you the latitude of tone in one instrument or two basses, an A/B box, an amp set fairly neutral so that you can actually hear the differences between the two basses. You could also consider an EQ or preamp pedal to give you a different tone depending on the song.

...make sure the soundguy knows what you're doing so he's prepared for you to have more than one sound...at the least he'll undercut you in the house because he's only checked you for one tone, at most he'll be pissed when you ruin the mix with different volume and tone settings.

5. Register to disable this ad