1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The old guy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Davesound, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Hi
    I have some time off from playing.I've looked at some bass guitar kits to build.I know nothing about this.I play a short scale Warwick.Point me in the right direction for an old person with little money or experience with this.Maybe it would be a way of learning more about the bass make up.Maybe a bad idea!Don't know.The kits I've looked at run from $100.00 to two hundred dollars.

Thanks Dave
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    See if your library has Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

There are a lot of bass kits on the market as well as all the parts you would need to construct a bass, but without any knowledge of woodworking or at least some experience with finishing wood, I would not attempt it. Sorry
  4. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Good advice. As well as 2 electric guitars Melvyn shows how to build a neck-through bass from scratch and a bolt-on from slightly modified parts.
    I built my first bass 10 years ago from reclaimed timber (it used to be a chest of drawers) with only the help of Melvyn's book. No internet, no computer, no friendly luthier, just the book.

I think it turned out OK.

[​IMG]
  5. randyripoff

randyripoff