1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The old guy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Davesound, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Hi
    I have some time off from playing.I've looked at some bass guitar kits to build.I know nothing about this.I play a short scale Warwick.Point me in the right direction for an old person with little money or experience with this.Maybe it would be a way of learning more about the bass make up.Maybe a bad idea!Don't know.The kits I've looked at run from $100.00 to two hundred dollars.

Thanks Dave

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    See if your library has Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock.

3. pfox14

pfox14

There are a lot of bass kits on the market as well as all the parts you would need to construct a bass, but without any knowledge of woodworking or at least some experience with finishing wood, I would not attempt it. Sorry

4. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Good advice. As well as 2 electric guitars Melvyn shows how to build a neck-through bass from scratch and a bolt-on from slightly modified parts.
    I built my first bass 10 years ago from reclaimed timber (it used to be a chest of drawers) with only the help of Melvyn's book. No internet, no computer, no friendly luthier, just the book.

I think it turned out OK.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. randyripoff

randyripoff