1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The old guy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davesound, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Hi
    About two months ago I purchased a Warwick Rock bass short scale passive.I have TI flates on it.Sounds great! I love it.The best bass I've ever played and owned.Would the active bass be any advantage playing oldies ,standards.We don't play heavy Rock,Classic Rock,mostly 50 to 70 music.Even play ballroom numbers etc.What's the difference between these two types of pickups?

Thanks

Dave A

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    An active bass has a built in pre-amp that runs on a battery, usually 9 or 18 volts. As a result, it sends a hotter signal to your amp. Active pickups generally produce a louder sound with more bite, more sustain and greater dynamic range and control. I don't think there is any advantage to using an active bass for the music you are playing. If anything, passive will sound better. I play classic rock, modern rock, blues, jazz and country with passive basses and never have any problems. I have used active basses in the past but got tired of changing batteries. I also didn't care for the hot signal they produce.

3. homey

homey

This subject can lead to all different directions. I will leave it to the real experts. My way to take it is to explore what you have in hand, the bass, amps, and cabs (and effects). Understand them in depth and see what they can offer you. The pasture may seem greener on the other side.

4. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

You can play any bass for any type of music. There are no rules. Some may be better than others but in general you can adjust the sound, tone, and technique for the music you are playing. As an example I play upright in a bluegrass/new grass band. Some gigs I can't bring my upright and take an electric. Sometimes I take my Alembic with round wounds. Still sounded great and no complaints from band or audiance.

I would say that if you play better with a bass you are comfortable with, then play that one.

5. Register to disable this ad