1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The old guy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Davesound, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Hi

I've never used any effects on my Bass.What do Delay's or Compressor's help or do too your Bass sound and playing?

Thanks

Dave Armbruster,Baltimore.

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Welcome to the world of effects.... from one old guy to another.

4. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I tend to think of effects as either:

A) A spice - Adding a little to an already existing part to add an extra dimension, or

B) A compositional tool - Sometimes using an effect can help to create a part that you would've never even considered trying before.

I love experimenting with effects, and I wish I had a dime for every time an effect actually helped me to create a part. It's a blast, enjoy!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Best thing to do IMHO is find yourself a cheapo multi-fx unit, play around with everything on it, then you'll get a better idea of what they do when you go get pedal versions. Zoom makes a very inexpensive line of multis that aren't the best versions of effects you'll ever hear, but they aren't bad for the money. I keep it for the times I need effects that I don't have pedals for, which means I never use it much ;) but it helped me decide which sounds were important to me and which weren't.

7. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Before you buy anything, you can also search for demos of delays (and other effects) on bass on youtube.

For compressors, they're trickier to review or to tell what's going on with them. The standard here is Ovnilab, where all will be explained about compressors, along with a hefty section reviewing just about every compressor under the sun.

+1 to JimmyM's post...
    If you can't wait to get your bass tone wet, get a simple multi-FX to explore stuff on your own. I'll recommend an Line6 M5 as it's cheap and intuitive without needing to get into sub-menus to program the thing. Just select an effect and twirl the knobs.

Have at 'er, have fun!

8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

+1

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Great way if putting it vegas. I fell B): every time I use delay. LOVE delay.

To the OP, if I were you , I would check out the wealth of YouTube videos on any given effect out there. There are TONS and most of them are very fun and very useful. And addictive. To me anyway. Delay is what it is, delay. It can add atmosphere or just plain trails all the way to reverb back to crazy robot oscillating sounds (depending on the delay). Comps are tone enhancers, peak limiters, spike controllers, smooth/squeeze machines. I cant talk about comps too much as Im not well versed in them and havent used any that much. Jimmy has a good suggestion, check out the Zoom B3, MS60b or the 70CDR. They are all very good multi units and it will allow you to learn the many effects that are out there from delay to preamps/amp sims.

Also, dont be afraid to ask us here in the effects forums, were always ready and willing to talk gear, especially pedals, and share the what we know. So, welcome to the effects world!!

10. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Well said, sir! There's no such thing as a dumb question. If you're ever feeling unsure about posting one in a thread, you can always PM me as well. :D

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 Try the Zoom MS60-B it has some great effects and amp models and it is fun to try out effects without having to spend money on each individual one and once you get hooked on pedals it's a long lonely and expensive path. :)

12. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

+1 MS60-B or B3. The MS60-B might be a bit harder to use at first but it is small and you can keep it on a small pedalboard even after you buy a bunch of other pedals :)

13. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+3, Yep - what Jimmy said.

15. s4001

s4001

As an old guy...

I've used a Sansamp DI. nonstop since 1992.

Lately I've expanded. My setup now is a MXR compressor into the EBS Sheehan pedal. I crossover a MXR ex on the clean channel. I plug in the TC flashback for various things. It's a pretty versatile rig.

Biggest bang for the buck, I've found, is actually the EQ. It makes it a snap to place your tone anywhere in the room you want. Almost makes the volume and tone settings on an amp obsolete.

16. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Thanks for actually posting a specific pedal.

Both the B/B3 look intriguing to these old guy's eyes.

:)

17. Beltdrive

Beltdrive

I personally would steer clear of delays, compressor can help control the audio level and can be useful. This is just personal, but I only use a compressor to stop clipping and never run effects through my amp. No matter what band I have played in I would rather hear a non-altered bass tone. Another thing about effects I see a lot people do is become dependent on them and over use them. As others have said experiment and have fun, I did and learned they are not for me.

18. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

My two cents: Delays don't do much for playing with a band, but they are great fun.
    Compressors are only really useful when doing high transient playing (slapping/popping). I just don't see the use for them otherwise.
    Useful effects, you ask? Effects that fit the songs you are covering or writing. Chorus, envelope filter, octave generator, overdrive.

19. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Delays can be utilized to great effect with the right band/music. They're not just for guitarist. They are pretty fun at home on your own though too. They've inspired me to write so many things.