The ONE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klaus486, Dec 10, 2012.

1. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Seriously contemplating just using one bass. I only own three but never play 2 of them. Yet I constantly find myself thinking/worrying about the other 2.

I'm using Anthony Jackson, Gary Willis, Robertino Pagliari, Percy Jones for inspiration. I really only ever see those guys with "their" bass. Like me, I know all those guys have HAD many basses over the years but seem to have settled into their selected instrument.

I believe I have found the perfect bass for me. She does everything I need. I play my own music so I don't need to cop anyone's tone and I really don't slap. Oh yeah I should mention MY bass is fretless. I don't play rock or metal so I'm not thrashing about the stage or sweating all over my bass nor have I broken a string in over 20 years. So while I am aware of the possibility of malfunction I think it unlikely. She is a simple passive J bass of the highest quality.

I am a grown man and can make my own decisions but I'm just curios if others think they've found the ONE...and how that's worked out in actual practice. I want to simplify my life and not worry about things - just make music.

Attached Files:

2. mcm

mcm

I did it. It's sure makes things simpler.

3. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Jeff Berlin only needs one..Billy Sheehan...and then there are the upright guys...Good idea.

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

I own several but only play one regularly. Unless I need money I won't get rid of the others though. They are still fun to pull out every now and then to keep me on my toes. Nice bass by the way. But just do whatever makes you happy unless that hurts someone else. Other than that go nuts!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Variety is the spice of life. More creativity comes from variety too.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

In the end, there can be only one.

8. SixxStringBass

SixxStringBass

I wish I could narrow it down to just one bass. I jump between my Spector 6 string and my ESP 8 string all the time.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

It's not a bad thing to have a "money bass" that's your go-to. Having a backup can be a good idea in the event that your number one goes down with a bad jack or something during a gig, or needs some servicing. The bottom line is, if you're getting paid to play bass it's smart to have a backup that you're comfortable playing, or at least familiar with.

There are other reasons to own multiple basses. Sometimes different textures and tones are great to have, especially for recording. Sometimes it's nice to just mix it up with something different.

10. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Well.... I work in a guitar store so I get to play all kinds of basses all the time. I've been playing now for about 27 years and have owned WAY TOO MANY basses. I definitely feel most at home on the J bass. My boss owns a huge collection of vintage instruments that are available to borrow if need be too.

Keep hearing in my head the dictum - Beware the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it!

While I agree there is something to be said for different textures....I feel like I can coax just about any sound out of this bass by different playing techniques, using a pick or foam mutes etc. The pickups have a stellar array of useable tones! Like no other J bass I've ever played. In addition my musical partner in crime now has Guitar Rig on the computer so I can access all those sounds and FX.

Sounds like I'm trying to convince myself......!

11. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique Banned

12. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

I own a bunch of really nice basses, but yes, i did find the "one", and have been using it exclusively for the past 3 years, with only 2 or 3 one-gig excursions with another bass to remind me that my "one" is real. In my case, my "one" isn't a compromise in terms of sound, looks, feel, adapability, or anything else, so it makes it much more satisfying. I really dont enjoy switching basses now...its distracting to the real goal of playing well, and focusing on more important things. Of course, this is all IMO.

I've also found my "one" in strings. Searching for the "right" string can be equally frustrating.

Also have my "one" for amp/cab duty too, but to me the amp/cab "one" aspect was never as important to me as finding my bass and strings.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have more than I can play but I love each one and every time I think of selling one I just can't but if I only could keep just one it would be the Variax 700.

14. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I've been thinking the same thing about my Mustang lately.

15. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I have three right now, a Jazz, a P/J Jazz, and a fretless Jazz. If all goes right I will get a five string Jazz that will look a lot like my current Jazz tomorrow. One of those two will go in the next few months depending on whether my latest attempt to play a fiver (wider spaced this time) fails or succeeds. Besides the pickup configuration the main reason I have the two fretted Jazz basses right now is that one is tuned higher than the other so the fiver will give me both on a single neck and potentially I will sell both of my fretted four string Jazz basses if I can learn to love the fiver. I will keep the fretless though because it does give you a very different sound.

Even though my only gig is playing at church it still could be nice to have a backup. I think two basses should be enough for me though since I am getting good enough on the fretless so that it could be the backup for the fiver, assuming I end up using the fiver as my main bass. There are a ton of basses out there that I would love to have simply based on their appearance. I try hard to resist that notion, that way madness lies.

Ken

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Most of my playing life Ive just owned one bass. Occassionally Ive had two. But in the end, the best backup bass is gonna be another of the same as main bass. Except maybe diff color. Lol. I also notice most of the top players who been playing for yrs, and do original music with their bands are just one bass people to. Even if they occassionally replace current bass with something different. Is still just using one bass for thier sound.

17. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I have one fretless and two fretted. One of the fretted basses I keep because it's the first nice bass I've ever had it and it was gift from my parents. I rarely play it though.

18. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Depends on your playing situation. I'm in 5 different bands that span jazz standards to modern pop. While a single bass could cover that, it isn't going to be optimal. I try to keep my total number to 4 or less, but kinda hard to go down to one if you play fretless and fretted. If you're only doing your own music then I can see it. As a sideman, it is a little tougher.

19. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

I'm boiling my collection down to fewer and fewer basses but due to the fretless/fretted divide I could probably never just have one bass.

20. Herrick

Herrick

I wish they made Only One :(

The TV series was all right though.

21. Labi

Labi

Sorry to go off topic and personal, but I am very curious about this 5 different bands thing. How do you manage being with 5 bands at once? And I mean physically. I happened to be in 3 for a short period of time, and it was exhausting. Not to mention those awkward moments when two of them had a gig on the same night and I had to favor one.
    Anyone else here plays in more then three bands?