1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The opposite of GAS experiment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agent77, Jan 5, 2014.

1. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I would love to own only one bass, but I own nine. I'm so sick of tweaking truss rods and saddles, and comparing tones. So I hid eight basses in the back of my closet behind a bunch of boxes. I'm gonna see how long I can rock this Squier P without worrying about another bass.
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Cool. I went from 8 down to four. Agree that constant fixing, tuning, restringing gets old. Nice to just play

What made you choose the bass you didn't hide?
  3. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I think that it's a great idea. But if you really want to be serious about it, I'll gladly take care of them for you. I'm about 125 miles or so away...

:bag:
  4. agent77

I don't have a case for it.
  5. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Well, I figured there was some scientific reason.

Is this your favorite of the nine, or will you be digging out your favorite soon?
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Get involved in a recording project, or some musical situation that pushes your ability a little. You'll find yourself returning to one (or two) "security blanket" basses that are comfortable and dependable enough that you don't have to think about them.
  7. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Shhhhhh.........don't make any noise......if you listen very very quietly, you can hear those eight basses talking among themselves in the closet.

I think I just heard one of them say, "what the he!! is this all about???"

Another one said, "relax......it's just a phase......he'll get over it."

A third one said, "I hope he's not mad at me for that one wrong note I played the other day :meh:"

And another one said, "I never really cared for when that Squier P moved in, and now look!" :crying:
  8. SonOfLiberty

SonOfLiberty Supporting Member

I'm in the same situation. I have 15 now, 4 of which are P basses. I would like to get down to a P, a J, a modern sounding bass, and my Wish basses.
  9. agent77

It's my newest bass, it's a MIJ medium scale P, and has potential of becoming my favorite. I love the P-Bass tone and the simplicity of one pickup.

My Mustang and my Fernandes are my faves, but sometimes I want a bit of a longer neck than my Mustang has. My Fernandes is a PJ with active pups and two volume and two tone controls; It's just too much, I'm really striving for simplicity.
  10. SlowCode

SlowCode Gold Supporting Member

I retired recently (again...) and sold a bunch of stuff I had in storage when I had a larger home, and finally had a little money, so I added a few.

I was down to just a Guild B-30 acoustic. Added a Precision, A Jazz and a fretless Steinberger L2. (I think...) that this will hold me. Forever.

But then I see the NS upright. And something else. But I'm going to stick to my guns.

I did score an 85 on the GAS test...
  11. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

I did somewhat the same thing as last years resolution..I picked my go-to three and sold the other 13..I figured I can't play them all at once,and more than a few were essentially the same bass in different colors. No regrets yet,and most shockingly-no new bass G.A.S.! I have the keepers,and having only those three for a year has made me realize I really only 'need' two..:eyebrow:
  12. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I would love to go to just a p and a j with a 5 string that had a modern sound, but I have 6 and can't bring myself to want to part with any of them. Infact there are still a few more I want to buy, though I don't need any more. I would love to get a Fender P and J since my P is a Squier and my J is an Elita, but I like them too much to want to part with them.

I wish there was a self hypnosis tape for this problem!:meh:
  13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

went from 5 down to 2 a while back ... now I am back up to 6 and pieces to build at least 2 or 3 more ... vicious, vicious circle ...

well at least basses are even with amps now ...
  14. bassbenj

bassbenj

I know there is a lot of science in here. I don't think you can do one bass unless you only do one kind of music and even then you start making compromises.

What I find is I may have one or two main basses AT THE MOMENT that I'm using a lot, but that can easily change to one or two other main basses if your music and interests change. For example I went from fretted and fretless 6ers to fretted and fretless 5ers when I no longer needed the extended upper range.

But here's the science. There has to be some kind of law of physics that says the amount of money you spend on GAS always stays the same. If you want to pare your basses down to 3 or 4 and have it work, I find that this works best if all those basses are very expensive. That is because expensive basses each do more and do it better. If you try to get by with just a few cheap basses you find you need many more of them because then each bass is more limited in what it can do and you need other ones to cover the gaps.

Bottom line no matter how you go it all costs the same. <sigh>
  15. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Good 'experiment'.
    I have kind of done the same thing. Own 9 or 10 (need to re-count---Too early right now) and got tired of tweaking/comparing. It has been liberating in a sense.

At the very least it has been interesting. Let's see what I really miss and maybe(hopefully) ....off to the classifieds with a few.
  16. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Good call!

I took that experiment to the next level. I sold all but one. I own one bass:

[​IMG]

It's liberating to only have one... no choosing between them for tone, or feel, or weight, or speed, etc...
  17. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

but if you only have one bass and that one NEEDS fixing tuning or restringing then you have to stop and do it. with more basses the odds of having a playable one increase and you will always be able to play. :bassist:
  18. pfox14

pfox14

I used to collect basses long time ago. Now I just have 2 and am very satisfied.
  19. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I'm pretty well off with my two basses - both EBMMs. I have a third on order, though I'll likely sell one once it shows up (depends - it's a fretless, so entirely different from the other two). At one point I owned 7 or 8 basses... then I found EBMMs are my "thing", sold all the others and got my Sterling and my Bongo. I can't see myself going below two, simply for the "backup" thinking. Three will feel OK, especially since one is fretless. I don't think I could justify another fretted bass at this point.
  20. aaron1433

aaron1433 Supporting Member

Being mainly a guitarist I can appreciate the OPs point. It's good to have nice tools. But the more stuff you own the more it owns you. This can be especially true with guitars where you need to worry about strings, set ups, temperature, humidity, etc.

I own one bass; a lakland P. Seriously considering adding J. Probably a fiver just to cover more ground.