The other most important rule that nobody ever told me

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by WashburnAB95, Nov 18, 2013.

1. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

I hope its okay for me to introduce myself here. Long time lurker first time poster. I play bass mostly for acoustic worship groups. Mostly gutiars, some hand percussion, and ocassional piano. My first love is acoustic guitar. However everywhere I go there will be several gutiar players and no bass players. So I play bass.

I am self taught... but I seek out all the help and advice I can get. Virtually all the advice that I have gotten can be sumerized as

RULE #1 Above all else lock in the with kick drum. Roots and Inversions when called for are almost always okay, 5ths are also often okay. Anything else proceed with extreem caution you are going into uncharted territory.

One day while rehearsing... I wanted a more laid back vibe. I wanted something people would snap their fingers to. I don't even think we had a hand pecussionist that day. In my head I started to imagine a drummer playing a super laid back grove. I started playing to that grove and tried something new... I added a pernounced pause and/or rest right where the snare should be.
    Something magical happened. Those with guitars started tapping their feet... those with free hands started snaping. As a side benifit the whole group became much tighter. So here it goes....

RULE #2 Leave space the for the snare! By playing interseting and creative rests you can imply a line that is much more complicated than you could ever play with notes allowing you more influence over the music while also leaving more room for everybody.

2. Hapa

Hapa

So the most important rule still seems to be use your ears

3. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Unfortunatly my mind has the need to conceptualise and and understand what I am hearing.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Bass IS part of the rhythm section!:) Congrats on putting the knowledge to use!

I suggest learning some funk/gospel/r&b bass rhythms. Check out James Jamerson, Rocco Prestia, Andre Gouche, Larry Graham and much more on my TB Wike page Genre section.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

I think rule #1 isn't always the way to go. My favorite drummer to play music with is someone I've known since the 4th grade. He does a lot with his bass drum. Rather than follow it, it makes more sense for me to compliment it. Therefore, I use more of a figure skater approach and by that I mean that sometimes we are doing the same thing, and sometimes we let go of one another and do our own tricks before coming back. Sometimes I follow his fills too. I know his bag of tricks, and he knows mine. It's part ESP and part just knowing what the drummer is going to play before he does it.