THE P tone - Cetera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by denton57, Mar 7, 2014.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Listening to Peter Cetera on the album version of Introduction off their first album.. Does it get any better than that tone?? WOW!!

Believe its a '64 into a Fliptop?
  2. Salamenster

Salamenster

Can't seem to find the song you mean on YT. I'm really curious though. Link? :)
  3. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

4. elgecko

elgecko

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination Supporting Member

With all respect to those who love this tone - but I just never got it. Maybe it is my age or something, I am 44, but it just sounds so old to me. Different strokes and all I guess, would be a boring world with only one bass tone for sure.
    Carry on,
  7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

I agree.

It's goes: Thup, Thup, Thup...

"Lifeless", comes to mind.

:eek:
  8. denton57

Listen to the breakdown where the trumpet solo comes in.. So good!!

Yeah, not everyone is a P with flats fan. :)
  9. Salamenster

Salamenster

Sounds cool! I have a P with GHS P flats that gets a similar sound, but the E-string keeps distorting really quick.
  10. bassdog

bassdog

I love that tone too. Old school P thump. The pick has a lot to do with it.
  11. Noonan

Noonan Supporting Member

12. denton57

I'm 38, and have been chasing the tone on this (and other) records since I was 17. What I couldn't understand when I was 19 was why my Ric with Roundwounds and SS GK head wasn't sounding warm and spongey. :)
  13. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I loved the band when Peter was the bass player and not the lead singer .

It 's funny my wife is ten years younger (53 and 43) and truly loves music but many times ( Chicago and Heart 2 examples) her exposure is the later years after my era of enjoying them.

She has helped me be more open minded and listen without prejudice and I've shown her the roots of bands.
  14. oboylebass

oboylebass

Man, that's cool. That tone has alot to do with how it's mixed and I bet there's some room ambiance happening on the bass track. Greatness...
  15. denton57

Seems like some tube sag in there maybe.. I guess that's the tube rectifier at work?

I've had a couple B15's and a B25 in the past. Wish I still had them :(
  16. Bingo

Bingo Banned

Every tone has its place. That tone fits that song perfectly. A Fodera or some other modern bass would sound ridiculous on that track. But the Chicago tone would sound ridiculous if Victor Wooten were trying to get it to do what he needs as well. I like having all of them around for when they fit a song. I couldn't agree more with your last sentence. Only one tone would be no fun at all. But the P, flats, and a pick sure has gotten it done on a lot of hit tracks.
  17. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

My fave is this one, especially the way he mixes it up in the part 2 intro. I'm also one that thinks his tone is incredible.

18. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Hey, you kids, get off of my lawn!

:D
  19. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

This is wonderful, thank you. Honestly, I have not listened to this in a very long time. I will be dusting off my Chicago catalog tonight.

Oh, and I play a P-bass with flats... what are the odds?
  20. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Every so often, a thread like this one comes up and reminds me how good Cetera was in the early days of Chicago. Thanks for posting the links to the videos. I started trolling around found several other great performances, including some where he played Gibson basses. But that P-Bass sound of his was perfect for those records, IMO.
  21. electracoyote

electracoyote

Ditto. It serves a very useful purpose. It sits high in the mix without being intrusive. Those who want "growl" or any other type of "definition" will surely be disappointed, but I'll counter that by suggesting that too much definition would probably ruin the track and not fit the ensemble.

Those are surely flats, correct?

And that voice. Of all the lead singers I'm insanely jealous of, he is near the top of the list. Not just a strong, effortless, natural tenor, not just near-perfect intonation, but a bizarre intangible quality found in virtually no other singer I've ever heard.