The "Pepsi" pedal challenge.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by russpurdy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

I don't have the means or skill to do this but it sure would be interesting.

What if someone built some dual pedals with the guts of popular pedals and their joyo/biyang/Asian made clone side by side with no way of telling which was which and then sent them as a tour box. I'd be curious how many people would pick an OCD over an Ultimate Drive or a Rat Tail over a Biyang Mouse. I'm not saying that one is better than the other but when people hear a difference I'm thinking they immediately judge the best one by the price tag (sometimes).
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Things like this can be done. See smeet's "Phaser Shoot-Out." Surprise! Most people preferred the digital pedal. When they found out, they claimed it "didn't sound digital." Well, I don't buy that "digital" has a certain sound once you get to a certain level of quality. Just like a TV, when the resolution is high enough, it looks more and more lifelike, even if it is digital. Once you hit a certain threshold for sampling, modeling quality, etc., good digital should be indistinguishable from good analog.

I realize I'm making this more about digital vs. analog when your post is really about clones. But I think the same principles apply.