1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The perfect short-scale bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by George Mann, Nov 30, 2013.

1. George Mann

George Mann

OK, you are looking to build the perfect short-scale bass. You like the sound of Mustang basses, Jazz basses with an EB-style humbucker in the neck position (Grand Funks first 5 albums), and the Gretsch G2202 in general.

What kind of pickup's would you choose (and why)? How many pickup's would you utilize?

You also prefer dark colors such as black, blue, silver, green, brown, and purple. All including metallic and bursts. What colors will you pick?

This bass will have an alder body, with a maple neck and a rosewood board.

2. Immigrant

Immigrant

Mmm.

Are you posting as you look in the mirror, because you've described the perfect short scale bass FOR YOU, not for me.:p Maybe you're looking for a builder to build that?

Good luck with whatever your quest is!

3. George Mann

George Mann

Yes. What else!:bassist:

4. George Mann

George Mann

Would anyone care to lend their input into this project? I would appreciate it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Gretchen G2202. I love mine.

7. Immigrant

Immigrant

OK! In that case, I'd order a short scale from either Rondo (cheap) or Landing ($), black. Maple neck, rosewood FB, alder body, mudbucker near the neck. Maybe dark metallic blue instead of black.

I'd then sell it to you, because I like medium scales and don't care much for mudbuckers, unless it's a T-Bird pup hiding in a mudbucker cover.

8. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I really liked my Mustang ri in Oly White, and if I were going to have another short-scale, that’d be the one.

9. George Mann

George Mann

I like the pickup, but not the neck or tonewood, plus the fact that its long out of production!

10. George Mann

George Mann

This was my original plan in order to test different pickups in it.

11. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Well, for sure I'd pick a metallic green finish. I'd probably stick with single coil pickups.

12. George Mann

George Mann

The 2 things I do not like about it are the god-awful color, and the fact that it could be a radioactive device!

One option would be to purchase a sunburst Pawn Shop, and convert it using a Squier pickguard. But I decide that I want a build with more tonal variation.

13. EXILE03

EXILE03

I'd put a Dark Star in P position and a DiMarzio Model One by the neck. Maybe you could have some sort of blackburst/trans black finish?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

I would really like a mustang bass that looks more like the mustang guitar, like this:
    [​IMG]

15. verycoolname

verycoolname

I'd check out Warmoth's short scales, if you're looking for a more expensive option. If you get the Jazz bass rear-routed you can get a humbucker at the neck.

16. George Mann

George Mann

I thought about that too. But the most important pickup will be in the middle.

17. George Mann

George Mann

18. Immigrant

Immigrant

I recommended Rondo earlier, and that is really hard for me to suggest. Every now and then I think I would never buy one if I was in the market (I have no $) because they have to be made under some weird circumstances in order for the price to be that low; I nearly bought an SX years ago and my son said something like "maybe if you buy that bass, the kid that wound the pickups will get to eat"...

But man, some of those basses are sweet. For less than two bills, you can get a shorty and if you ruin it via mods, no great loss. It's not like you're routing a new hole on a Birdsong. ;)

19. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

The best short scale is everything you want in a full scale bass but in the shorter scale. I'm dying for the day where I can get a short scale that I don't need to put flats on.

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

I have never noticed the tone wood aspect. I stripped the frets off of mine and it sounds fantastic. The humbucker doesn't need much. I run my Gretsch G2202 through just an EQ pedal to help me tame certain frequencies in certain rooms. I run my Gretsch without effects, basically.

21. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

It would have a Dimarzio One at the neck, as has been mentioned. It would be shaped like a Thunderbird but would have a Fender-ish headstock. It would have some semblance of an f-hole in it somewhere. It would have a P pickup in the P pickup spot and a J bridge pickup. It would have a whole lot of switches and knobs that might do something or might not but look great. It would have a mother of toilet seat pickguard. It would be painted some completely outrageous metal flake color with a matching headstock.

You may think I'm kidding, but really, I just have bad taste. It would probably sound pretty good.