The Perfect Steak

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gustobassman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    Ok TB chefs... what is your perfect steak? Being that it's a holiday weekend and all, i thought this would be good for anyone looking for ideas. Here's mine..

New York Strip. I've tried all the different cuts, but for texture and flavor, the NY strip is for me. I usually salt it moderately with kosher salt and leave on the counter (covered) for about 45 minutes before i grill. I rinse the excess salt off before cooking, pat it dry and only add a small amount of pepper before i hit the flames.

While the meat is resting i make a compound butter with room-temperature salted butter and chives. I add a little smoked paprika too. Put in saran wrap, roll it into a log and toss in the fridge.

Cook steak to medium rare and top with a slice of chive-paprika butter. Voila.
  2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Sounds good. I like filet mignon in butter on iron skillet. Doesn't get basic-er. Salt & peppa maybe. If it ain't too hot (weather) for pepper. Bloody as hell.
    Someone post a pic of salt & peppa
  3. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Kansas City Strip. Season with sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and cajun spice blend, then cook in an iron skillet to medium.
  4. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Filet or ribeye, medium rare. Garlic, pepper, an occasional steak rub. Grilled mushrooms and onions.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Banned

1-1/2" thick ribeye rare. Pepper mushrooms and caramelized onion. Maybe some A1. Must be cooked on a grill at high temperature.

;-/ Paul
  7. BigOkie

BigOkie

I'm a big fan of the NY or Kansas City strip, bone in. I don't turn my nose up at a ribeye, filet, or Porterhouse. Salt and pepper, severely hot cast iron skillet, two minutes (three for really thick cuts) per side don't move it while it's searing, then into a 500 degree oven for six minutes to finish. Rest, maybe apply a modest amount of Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning. Eat the hell out of it.
  8. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Good heavens, you guys are making me really hungry !

I like to cover a New York in olive oil on both sides and add some garlic powder and let it sit for about an hour. Then I cook it on a really hot grill. I add salt and pepper after it's been turned, only once of course.
  9. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

Tournedos Rossini :
    Lovely piece of Aberdeen Angus fillet, smothered in pate, seared on a very hot griddle, with mushrooms beside it and then the mushrooms sat on top of a thin piece of toast, the fillet on top of that, and more hot pate poured over it, steak cooked blue and accompanied by a nice "thick" chianti.....
  10. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    Here's a pic of the compound chive-paprika butter in log form. Just in case anyone reading this that doesn't cook much isn't sure what a compound butter is. It will keep in the fridge for about a week. I used half a stick to make this.

Attached Files:

11. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Interesting gustobassman !

My other favorite steak is a variation on Bistecca Fiorentina. Get a three-inch thick (minimum) porterhouse, the end of the loin, from a butcher. Poke holes in it, cover with olive oil, sprinkle salt, ground pepper, and garlic on both sides and let sit for about an hour or three. Then heat up a grill practically as hot as you can get it. Sear both sides for about five or ten minutes each and then set it upright on the crossed part of the T bone. Cook to your desired level of doneness. I usually let it go until a meat thermometer registers 120F. Traditionally, it is served very rare but I like it cooked a bit more than that. Let it sit for five to ten minutes and cut slices off too serve. This is REALLY good. This is sometimes called vertical steak.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

1.5"~2" bone in ribeye.

Out of the pack, wash it good then wrap in paper towels and get it good and dry. Coarse salt, ground black pepper, and a pinch of ground garlic on both sides.

let it sit until it's room temp through and through.

Prep you steak plate by wiping down the insert with EVOO and throwing it on the top rack of your gas grill which should be turned up full tilt long enough to fully heat saturate the iron cooking grate.

Open the grill lid and toss on your steaks. Count to 10 and flip them while turning 45 degrees. Another 10 count and do the same thing. One last 10 count and you now have your pretty crosshatch grill marks. Move the steaks to the plate inserts on the top rack and close the grill lid for one minute. Reduce your heat by half and check (and turn) every minute or so until almost done to personal preference by the finger in palm test. Remove the plate with steak and place on outer plate holder. Wrap the whole thing in foil and let it rest for 3 or 4 minutes.

Remove the foil and serve.

My personal preference is blood rare, cold in the middle with a (very) small oven baked red skin potato with a pat of unsalted butter and a small portion of coarse chopped iceburg with a quartered Roma, a few roasted and chopped pecans or walnuts, and a big spoonful of fresh made blue cheese dressing. No better meal in the world, unless you follow it up with a slice of NY style baked cheese cake. I usually don't have room for the cake though.
    ImNotJoel likes this.
  13. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Thick NY Strip, well trimmed of any extraneous fat and crap. I chop up lots of fresh rosemary and garlic and rub them onto the cut already lightly lubed with olive oil. I season liberally with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Then it sits, covered, at room temp for at least an hour to absorb the flavors, and to come to room temp (very important for a properly cooked steak).

I get the grill as hot as humanly possible. Best tool for that is natural lump charcoal. None of that briquette garbage. The goal is to crust up the surface, keeping it med. rare.

Remove from the coals and let rest for 5 minutes. Then go to town.
  14. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Adding the salt early not only adds flavor, but draws a layer of proteins to the surface that helps with crusting. Rinsing off the salt before grilling also rinses away that layer of potentially crusty goodness. Just a friendly tip. :)
  15. blastoff99

blastoff99

I have a friend who just opened a butcher shop in town. I was part of his Kickstarter campaign, and just got the beef from that. Local, grass fed, non-GMO etc, all that. The T-bone on the grill was excellent. It was also still wiggling a little.

I look forward to working my way through the rest of what's in the freezer!
  16. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    nicely marbled up Ribeye guy here...1 1/2 to 2" preferred. cooked medium rare on a hot grill over charcoal...salt/pepper...and served with a slab of butter melted on it...

Sometimes I will marinate it in Teriyaki...
  17. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Banned

Ah, nothing better that steak and eggs. I like doing it at home so we can use rib steaks. Thin ones and fried in a hot skillet. Then we split one.

;-/ Paul
  18. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Cute fillet cooked medium rare over coal with a bit of Montreal steak spices.
  19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    Sirloin with lots of fat, marinated in soy sauce for a few hours, cooked medium rare on the grill. Yums.
  20. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred

Ribeye with salt and pepper and a touch of garlic then.......wait for it.........rub with a bit of light brown sugar . Grill as hot your grill will get for no longer than 7 minutes.
  21. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    I totally agree with you, however when i said moderately in the OP i should've said "liberally" :p . If i'm doing just a thin layer of salt i leave it alone- no rinsing. If i'm in the mood for some real meaty goodness i salt the crap out of it. After the salt has done it's thing i'd rather get rid of some of it so i'm not just eating a salt lick with a piece of beef attached.

Lately i've been on an Applewood smoked sea salt kick. It works on darn near everything.