1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club part 21

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Aw look, our thread's all grown up. :)

4. mdjuszyn

mdjuszyn

I have a nice opportunity to play in the main church later this fall with the piano/organ/choir. They are doing "Sweet By and By" and the music director asked me to to play the bass guitar part. They are getting another volunteer who has experience on a B3 to play the organ part. Time to woodshed a little on my reading skills! I'm excited for the chance to do it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. throughthefire

throughthefire

I've nothing in particular to say, I just wanted to jump in early on the thread! :)

7. SoVeryTired

I hear ya! I've got nothing bass-related to comment on really this week, as I'm playing lead soprano bass on:

Our God Is Love
    Power In The Name
    In Your Freedom
    From The Inside Out

Oh yes, and the small matter of a new addition to my bass collection*. Possibly. If the eBay seller ever bothers to reply - fortunately it's a cash-on-collection deal so no loss to me if they decide not to bother.

*Disclaimer: I haven't actually got a collection until I get a second bass.

8. adambomb

adambomb

In!!!!!
    Go thread.
    Go thread....
    It's your birthday :)

And........subscribed.

9. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

+1. A new birth, a new week and more opportunities to serve the Lord!

10. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

In on the first page! Playing in two chapel services at Cornerstone University this week.

Wednesday, with the choir worship team:

In Christ Alone
    Joyful
    Your Great Name

Friday:

Behold Our God
    O Worship The King
    Now Why This Fear
    Not For A Moment
    Stronger

11. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

I wanted to answer the post about effects and distractions....but we got this moving experience going...is this Kansas, Toto?

I use a Compressor/Sustainer most of the time and sometimes I'll use Stereo Chorus or just a couple of patches from my old Zoom 506 multipedal depending on the song.

Distractions.... They are usually a form of offbeat timing, weird strums or wrong scales. Lack of concentration comes from bad monitors or not being able to hear what I need to hear or the typical reason, old age!

12. SteveC

SteveC

Just getting a post in so it'll update in my app.

13. SoVeryTired

Do any of you guys have two basses with you on a Sunday, either as a backup or to switch for certain songs?

I'll be getting my new 4-string tomorrow and was considering playing it next week. There's one song where those missing lower notes, while not essential, really enhance the song (to my ears at least). It's for the offering so I've got chance to swap basses but was wondering if anyone else does this or if it's an unnecessary distraction.

For reference, no other guitarists or bassists on the team ever bring more than one instrument.

14. GemJam

GemJam

Every week. I use my Fender Kingman acoustic for the first service which is softer more traditional take on the contemporary Christian songs, then switch to one of my solid bodies for the second service which kicks it up a notch or two.

15. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Crafter of XBass cables
    Both our guitarist and I occasionally will bring a second instrument, not for backup, but for a specific song or two. I typically use the fretless, for instance, for something melodic and then an active fretted P-J to do the Hillsong/Fee/Tomlin stuff. Or, the '59 P-Bass (for a classic sound) teamed up with the Warrior (very modern sounding with a 2 octave neck). I'll use a Radial Tonebone Bassbone as a switcher, or the Radial ABY.

16. SoVeryTired

Thanks for the responses so far, guys. I guess I don't want to be seen as overly showy, i.e. the guy with two basses who can't really play either. :D

But I do like the idea of a 4-string 20-fret passive P-J with a 5-string 24-fret active MM-J. I'd have to think it through based on the setlist - I probably don't have time to swap basses between songs in the main set so if I needed the low notes on any oen song, the 5er would win the day.

As far as switching goes, as long as it doesn't cause the sound guys any headaches, I think I'd be able to get away with muting the signal via my tuner pedal then simply switching the lead to the next bass?

17. adambomb

adambomb

Our lead guitarist has two with him but everyone else does the one

18. mupi

mupi

If you're running through a pedal, you should be able to match the volume pretty closely. I doubt the sound guy is going to care much if the levels aren't crazy (or at least, inappropriately out-of-whack...like suddenly jumping up 10db because you switched to an active for the quietest song....)

An A-B switch might make the transition faster than trying to mute, unplug, replug, unmute; but that assumes you have an A-B switch available...

19. mkandolf

mkandolf

I've done this plenty of times. Sometimes I want different tones, sometimes I want the electric fretless, sometimes I bring the doublebass in, it all depends. I keep a Boss LS-2 line selector pedal on my pedalboard for just such occasions. The LS-2 allows me to plug in 3 different basses and adjust the levels on 2 of them to match the first one. It's the first pedal on my board right before the Boss TU-3 tuner.

20. iamjustin

iamjustin

good to still be here after 21 threads

sunday morning:
    You Never Let Go
    Always
    Came to My Rescue
    Lord I Need You
    Give Us Clean hands

21. praisebass

praisebass

I sometimes swap fretted and fretless but not between songs. Preparing for offertory is a bit different in that there is often a certain amount of activity which would allow for changing instruments without being a distraction. Our worship team members will occasionally change instruments specifically for offertory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.